[ABD] Topic'it

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Topic'it
Name: Cédric

[ABD] Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Extension Name: Topic'it - Mobile Forum App for phpBB

Author: Topic'it

Extension Description:

Topic'it is an easy to use and free app to access your favorite discussion forum. It allows you to browse, participate and follow the forums and communities that interest you from your tablet or smartphone. Topic'it is a turning point in online discussions and communities: 100% mobile forums, real-time notifications, overall monitoring of your forums, easy sharing of messages and topics, and more discussions than ever!

You can add your phpBB 3.1 or 3.2 forum for free on Topic'it. This is an additional solution to improve the engagement of your members on the forum. Indeed, Topic'it offers an alternative to the "web version" of phpBB forums: mobile users preferring the app can simply use Topic'it. Nothing changes for the other members.

Google is available in several languages ​​including English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic ...

Topic'it - 10,000+ Forums and 100,000+ Users in January 2018. You can see the reviews on Google Play and iTunes.

Extension Version: 1.5

Requirements:
  • phpBB 3.1.x or 3.2.x
  • PHP 5.6+ (5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3)
Features for forums owners:
  • Make his website accessible on a free app for Android and iOS.
  • Allow members on mobile devices to browse the forum, join the community, stay connected to the forum, receive push notifications...
  • Customize the design of your forum (logo, banner, description...).
  • Track visits via Google Analytics for Apps.
  • Possibility to monetize his own forum on the app (no ads if not).
  • Add Topic'it Connect to your forum. Topic'it Connect is a secure, fast and convenient solution for people to sign into your forum.
  • Many options to adapt Topic'it to your needs.
Features for users:
  • Browse, participate and follow the forum.
  • Log in with an existing account or register via the classic form or Topic'it Connect.
  • Access the recent, unread, popular or followed topics easily.
  • Stay connected to the forum and receive alerts and push notifications.
  • Create new topics.
  • Post replies with text, photos, videos and Emojis.
  • Send private messages.
Screenshots:

"Home Forum" screen

"Home Forum" screen

"Create a new topic" screen

"Topic with video" screen

"Log in into a forum" screen

Extension Download: https://topicit.net/fr/plugins/phpbb
david63

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] Topic'it

Post by david63 »

Can I just point out that this is not a valid phpBB extension. A phpBB extension must be totally self contained i.e. all files must be within the extension and not have some loaded into the root of the board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Bryx

Post by Bryx »

Hola!

The extension would be valid if the file out of extension were directly in the folder or the extension, if I understand correctly?
nou nou

Post by nou nou »

"Log in with an existing account or register via the classic form or Topic'it Connect"

Does this simply interface with the forum? I.e. what if you disable Topic'it after two hundred users have signed up using Topic'it Connect? Do these users just exist in the database as usual, or do they all of a sudden lose their credentials?

In other words, what's the catch? :)

Also, does it support any and all extensions out there? Tapatalk for example is a mess, going by reviews online. Especially with permissions, not respecting certain hidden items, etc.

And BBCodes? What about those? Any gotchas there?

Just wondering what the limitations are.

Thanks! :)
Niko!

Post by Niko! »

Hello nou nou,

if you disable the extension, your members will still be active and working.The only difference is that they will have to login with their ID/password instead of clicking on the “Login with Topic’it” button on login.

About BBcodes, most of the default ones are supported. Anyway, they are working to implement more!
For example, at the moment colors are not supported.

Hope I helped :)
Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest. I will try to answer each point clearly :D

A phpBB extension must be totally self contained i.e. all files must be within the extension and not have some loaded into the root of the board.
I will check this point with our developer to fix it. This is precisely the purpose of this topic: to understand the points to correct to be listed in the list of extensions in the future. Thank you for this information.

What if you disable Topic'it after two hundred users have signed up using Topic'it Connect? Do these users just exist in the database as usual, or do they all of a sudden lose their credentials?
Topic'it Connect allows you to register more easily using your Topic'it account which is already validated. This is very useful for users registered on several forums for example. However, a classic account is created on the forum and the member can choose to connect with the Topic'it Connect or in a classic way (with his username and password retrieved by the form "new password"). Therefore, disabling Topic'it Connect is not a problem. The users exist in your database as usual.

If you already have an existing account on the forum and use the same email address for your Topic'it account, Topic'it Connect connects you to this account as well.

And BBCodes? What about those?
For the moment, we manage a short list of BBCode codes:
  • IMG
  • URL
  • B
  • I
  • YOUTUBE
Moreover, we are implementing the BBCodes codes CODE and SPOILER and the management of "BBCode in BBCode" (a quote of a quote or a spoiler for instance) which will be available in the next Topic'it version on Android. About unmanaged BBCodes (center or color for instance), we delete them in the App to display a clean content to users until they are managed in the coming weeks. We progress on it according the popularity of BBCodes.

Also, does it support any and all extensions out there? Tapatalk for example is a mess, going by reviews online. Especially with permissions, not respecting certain hidden items, etc.
This is an important issue for forum owners. We will publish the list of extensions approved by our technical team during testing. I know our developer has tested the most popular extensions before the plugin is released. I will ask him the detail. By cons, pay attention to the version of PHP on your hosting.
Ger

Post by Ger »

So basically this adds push notifications to phpBB and wrap stuff in another style compared to the responsive version? And a whole bunch of clutter?

And about the security: the TIEncryption uses mcrypt, not maintained for over 10 years and deprecated since PHP 7.1. Doesn't give much hope for the rest I'd say.

Read: https://paragonie.com/blog/2015/05/if-y ... g-it-wrong
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:28 am Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest. I will try to answer each point clearly :D

A phpBB extension must be totally self contained i.e. all files must be within the extension and not have some loaded into the root of the board.
I will check this point with our developer to fix it. This is precisely the purpose of this topic: to understand the points to correct to be listed in the list of extensions in the future. Thank you for this information.
No, it is not allowed to have anything outside the directory of your extension folder. You will also need to use the routing system from phpBB, it is not allowed to have user facing php files in the ext directory.
I also suggest you read the extensions validation policies, and check your extension with EPV.
Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Hello,
I also suggest you read the extensions validation policies, and check your extension with EPV.
Thanks! Our developer is analyzing your feedback and confirmed that it was possible to correct this error ("ext" file).

And about the security: the TIEncryption uses mcrypt, not maintained for over 10 years and deprecated since PHP 7.1. Doesn't give much hope for the rest I'd say.
I reported this to our developer. He will fix everything for the next version.

So basically this adds push notifications to phpBB and wrap stuff in another style compared to the responsive version? And a whole bunch of clutter?
A mobile app is different from a responsive website on several points. This is why all major services (media, social networks...) offer a responsive website and a mobile app. For instance on Facebook with a mobile device, we use usually the app and not the responsive website. Topic'it is simply an additional solution to browse and participate on the forum that meets the needs of some users on mobile devices. In addition, the forum has benefits for the forum owner and its members.

The goal is to better respond to some users who prefer to use a mobile app. And for others, they will continue to use the responsive website :D
Ger

Post by Ger »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 am
A mobile app is different from a responsive website on several points. This is why all major services (media, social networks...) offer a responsive website and a mobile app. For instance on Facebook with a mobile device, we use usually the app and not the responsive website. Topic'it is simply an additional solution to browse and participate on the forum that meets the needs of some users on mobile devices. In addition, the forum has benefits for the forum owner and its members.
I don't see the benefit. But then again, I use FB only through my (mobile) browser.
The goal is to better respond to some users who prefer to use a mobile app. And for others, they will continue to use the responsive website :D
I think your goal is to make money by scraping 50% of the advertisement revenue. Something you also state can change at your will at any time.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

I think your goal is to make money by scraping 50% of the advertisement revenue. Something you also state can change at your will at any time.
If you disable the monetization of your forum on Topic'it, there is no ad when you browse your forum. If you monetize your forum, we propose 75% revenue sharing for the forum owner. After that it's a matter of trust. But it's unfortunate to leave with negative ideas when we have never done anything to break the trust, the users are very satisfied and without having tested the plugin :?

And more importantly, the purpose of this topic is to discuss the Topic'it plugin and its errors via the "phpBB extension" requirements. I took into consideration each of your feedback to propose a better plugin.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am
If you disable the monetization of your forum on Topic'it, there is no ad when you browse your forum. If you monetize your forum, we propose 75% revenue sharing for the forum owner. After that it's a matter of trust. But it's unfortunate to leave with negative ideas when we have never done anything to break the trust, the users are very satisfied and without having tested the plugin :?
Yet a board owner can't advertise through content in their own style (e.g. a sponsor). Also, your own FAQ doesn't mention 75% but only:
The rate of Revenue Sharing, between you and Topic'it, can change over time. Nevertheless, you have the certainty of earning at least 50% of the advertising revenue generated by your forum.
And more importantly, the purpose of this topic is to discuss the Topic'it plugin and its errors via the "phpBB extension" requirements. I took into consideration each of your feedback to propose a better plugin.
Discussing the basic functions and pro's/cons of a plugin seems to meet "discuss the Topic'it plugin" I'd say.

Also, from your FAQ:
Registering your forum on Topic'it improves your mobile search engine ranking. With the App Indexing, Google will consider your forum 100% mobile-friendly and give a ranking boost to your forum pages.
That's nonsense since phpBB 3.1 are already considered mobile friendly by Google. Just checkout this analysis for a 3.1 forum: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-f ... Etky6hr9Rw
And for the current phpBB.com 3.2 forum: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-f ... QLKwtVMbQQ
My extensions:

Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Hello,
Yet a board owner can't advertise through content in their own style (e.g. a sponsor).
A board owner can because we're working with MoPub which offers the possibility to create your own banner or native ad for sponsor.

Also, your own FAQ doesn't mention 75%
Registering your forum on Topic'it improves your mobile search engine ranking. With the App Indexing, Google will consider your forum 100% mobile-friendly and give a ranking boost to your forum pages.
You're right, I need to update the FAQ to mention 75% and to be clearer regarding the SEO. The "FAQ" page is intended for other forums than phpBB, which they are not always responsive. And the forum owner has the choice to activate the App Indexing or not. But I will clarify this point this week because I join you in the reasoning ;)

---

No relation to the current subject: to be mobile friendly is not the only SEO factor, be careful about the page speed too. Especially with the "Mobile First" index:
Ger

Post by Ger »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 am No relation to the current subject: to be mobile friendly is not the only SEO factor, be careful about the page speed too. Especially with the "Mobile First" index:
The “Speed Update,” as we’re calling it, will only affect pages that deliver the slowest experience to users and will only affect a small percentage of queries
My extensions:

Bryx

Post by Bryx »

Hola!

@Ger, Topic'it is two times better than Tapatalk. Why don't you try it on a test forum that you can put into production? I am a user and I am satisfied with the result.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”