global settings for notification and subscriptions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DWFII
Name: D.W.

global settings for notification and subscriptions

Post by DWFII »

Is there a way for admin to set subscriptions so that new members are by default automatically subscribed to a forum or topic?

I'd like to be sure that all users are subscribed to "System Announcements" at the very least. Even if it is regarded as the "price of admission."

And along the same lines is there a way to globally set notifications such that all members are automatically sent an email notification when someone responds to a topic to which the user is subscribed?

I must remark that, for the average user, finding the notifications settings is not a given nor easy.
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
david63

Re: global settings for notification and subscriptions

Post by david63 »

What are "System Announcements"? There is no such feature in phpBB - there are Announcements and there are Global Announcements.

If you make a Global Announcement then by default it will be shown to all members when they access the board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Thanks for your response.

My forum migrated or was converted to phpBB from an old CGI Discus forum. We always had a forum/topic called System Announcements.

I am not familiar with the concept of "Global Announcements." Can I convert my "System Announcement"s forum to a Global Announcement?

And how does that work with Global Announcement being shown to a user when they access the board? Does it interrupt their access? I can see how that would be a good thing but what if they are following a link from an email notification, for instance?
Last edited by DWFII on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWFII
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

And regarding notifications, I'd like the default to be 'send notification by email for subscribed topics' and let the user change it if they want to.

Ideally, an active member would want to receive notifications in email. When they don't and can't find notifications settings it becomes too difficult for some users and discourages participation.
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Global announcement topics just get posted to the very top of the forum kind of like stickies, but higher.

There is an announcement plugin that shows a message below the navbar as well.

For notifying,
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2301531
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

The notifications extension discussed in that thread looks to be a good one.

As for Global Announcements...any quick links to one in action?
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”