Catastrophic 3.2.1 update [SOLVED]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Post Reply
CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Catastrophic 3.2.1 update [SOLVED]

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am

I have never made a phpbb update before. Let's just say it went horribly wrong despite following the instructions to the best of my ability....

It totally broke my forum.

The update button on the forum/install/app.php file does absolutely nothing. I have completely replaced the vendor directory, i have pushed all the new files from the update from 3.2.0 (or whatever the "0" should be) and nothing is working.

I attempted to remove the install folder and it still did not bring my forum back

I attempted to remove it and revert to a backup... Then I had MySQL errors with schema.

This update process totally broke my forum. This is extremely frustrating and I need help desperately
Last edited by CraftingGamerTom on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Christian
Contact:

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by Crizzo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 am

Hi,

Please explain in detail which steps you did and what packages you have downloaded and uploaded again.

Don't forget to tell when what error happened.

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am

Error:
1) forums/install/app.php now gives me a 500 Error

I followed the instructions from
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

and now everything is broken :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot access the install directory - 500 error

Not sure what else I can give for detail because I don't understand how things went so horribly wrong.

User avatar
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Christian
Contact:

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by Crizzo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 am

Let's start with these information :

What was your previous phpBB version?

What package did you download?
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

infinitiv
Registered User
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: PL
Name: Ficjusz

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by infinitiv » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:14 am

That’s why using test forum (preferably locally) is recommended and important.
Right now there’s no way that anyone can help you. We need some more details.

CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Updating from: 3.2.0 -> 3.2.1

Began by trying to download the Automatic Update. I followed the instructions on ../install/app.php page but that was stopped when hitting the update button at the bottom of the page did nothing.

So i re-approached it by getting the "Changed Files" so I merged those files with the current directory. That caused a Error 500 on any pages for the forum. I have noticed - if I take the install folder from the first attempt and use it, then it lets me get to ../install/app.php but the update button still does not work. All other pages are down

I have also tried to remove the install folder thinking that it would bring my forum back online.

I also attempted to just go back to a backup of the forum. The backup gives me a 500 Error on ALL pages of the forum.

At this point I decided okay, I am going to start fresh.... I got a brand new copy of phpbb3.2.1 but when I accessed the new directory I get a 500 Error still.

Let me know what other detail I can include. Thank you for your time

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 47876
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by stevemaury » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 pm

CraftingGamerTom wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am

I followed the instructions from
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

Not sure what else I can give for detail because I don't understand how things went so horribly wrong.
Well those instructions are for going from 3.1.x to 3.2.x, which you are not doing.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 pm
CraftingGamerTom wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am

I followed the instructions from
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

Not sure what else I can give for detail because I don't understand how things went so horribly wrong.
Well those instructions are for going from 3.1.x to 3.2.x, which you are not doing.
Well I over simlified as it was 3 am. I was having the error before that.

This is all that matters ... maybe I should just make a new post.... :oops:
CraftingGamerTom wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Updating from: 3.2.0 -> 3.2.1

Began by trying to download the Automatic Update. I followed the instructions on ../install/app.php page but that was stopped when hitting the update button at the bottom of the page did nothing.

So i re-approached it by getting the "Changed Files" so I merged those files with the current directory. That caused a Error 500 on any pages for the forum. I have noticed - if I take the install folder from the first attempt and use it, then it lets me get to ../install/app.php but the update button still does not work. All other pages are down

I have also tried to remove the install folder thinking that it would bring my forum back online.

I also attempted to just go back to a backup of the forum. The backup gives me a 500 Error on ALL pages of the forum.

At this point I decided okay, I am going to start fresh.... I got a brand new copy of phpbb3.2.1 but when I accessed the new directory I get a 500 Error still.

Let me know what other detail I can include. Thank you for your time

CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

SOLUTION

Okay, Update .. as you may be able to see it is back online

The Cache folder was missing two directories
/installer
/production

Putting those in from a clean phpbb download fixed the error .. still not sure why

But ill leave this here for reference

Now I need to follow through with the rest of the update .. though I am not sure what is okay in the forum and what isnt - different problem though

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 12949
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update [SOLVED]

Post by david63 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm

CraftingGamerTom wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm
The Cache folder was missing two directories
/installer
/production
That should not be a problem as they would be recreated as and when necessary - if they are not being created then it may be that you have either a problem with your folder permissions or your folder ownership.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email or as they will be ignored

CraftingGamerTom
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

Re: Catastrophic 3.2.1 update [SOLVED]

Post by CraftingGamerTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm
CraftingGamerTom wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm
The Cache folder was missing two directories
/installer
/production
That should not be a problem as they would be recreated as and when necessary - if they are not being created then it may be that you have either a problem with your folder permissions or your folder ownership.
It is true, I am having a permissions issue currently. It is rather touchy. I'll look for somewhere that is more clear about what should be accessible at all times and what shouldn't. I'm currently dealing with getting that 500 Error across the forum when SiteMaker is enabled. That is a different problem unfortunately - although related. Ill make another post sometime I guess.

Post Reply

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HiFiKabin and 20 guests

cron