Only allow Newly Registered Users group to post to one forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
rogerclark
Name: Roger Clark

Only allow Newly Registered Users group to post to one forum

Post by rogerclark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:38 am

I'm having problems configuring my forum so that Newly Registered Users group can only post to one forum.
(I've setup a "New users post here first" where I want all new users to be forced to post to first, as I'm increasingly getting AI based bots on the site who post what appears to be meaningful text, but which is probably content taken from Wikipedia)

Permissions->Forum permissions->SELECT_A_FORUM->Submit
On the "Groups" list (on the right of the Forum permissions page), I select "Newly registered users" and press the "Edit Permissions" button (on the right)

This then shows that for the forum I have selected, which is "Off topic", and under that it has the group name of "Newly registered users"

The Role is set to "Read Only Access"

However...

If I register a new "test" user and go to the "Off topic" forum, it allows that user to post.

I presumed that "Read Only Access" meant that they can't post, but thats not what seems to be happening.

Even if I select "No Access", the "test" user I created still seems to be able to see the "Off topic" section when logged in

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong ?

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Re: Only allow Newly Registered Users group to post to one forum

Post by rxu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am

Besides Newly regidtered users group, new users belong to the Registered users group as well. When you set Read only access for some forum, permissions are being set to No, which is overriden by Yes permissions set for Registered users group.
So, to achieve what you want, you'd need to set all permissions for Newly registered users group to Never (instead of No) for the forums you need.

rogerclark
Name: Roger Clark

Re: Only allow Newly Registered Users group to post to one forum

Post by rogerclark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

rxu wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am
So, to achieve what you want, you'd need to set all permissions for Newly registered users group to Never (instead of No) for the forums you need.
Thanks.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”