Novice asks: How to install authorizedforURLs extensions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
cachophrastus

Novice asks: How to install authorizedforURLs extensions

Post by cachophrastus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 am

Hi,

I have had problems with unreliable website developers so I am learning (paInfully!) to administer my server and make changes to my websites myself. I am a complete novice. So far I have managed to download the HT docs for one of my websites with filezilla and thanks to a tip on codingforums I have the beautiful Sublime Text app. I'm learning by doing. I have managed to do some changes to the pages in HTML, mainly by copying and pasting existing code.

I have a phpBB forum installed but have had to block it because of spammers posting URLs. So I have downloaded the "authorizedforURLextension". (I made a small donation). Can someone please explain to me how to install this (on a mac). Do I just open a new file in the "Forum" subfolder? Or should I click on one of the Forum subfolders and add in in a new file there? Please explain in words that a 3 year old would understand. (Anyone seen "Margin Call" ;) ).

Cheers Chris

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Novice asks: How to install authorizedforURLs extensions

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 am

Installing an extension is really easy. All you need is a program to unzip the download and a FTP program to upload them to your server.

Installing an Extension

Inside your phpBB board's directory is an "ext" folder. This is the location where all extensions are stored. Every extension follows the same folder hierarchy in which extensions are grouped into folders by the author's vendor name. If you downloaded my extension named "googlesearch" then it would be uploaded to "ext/hifikabin/googlesearch". Any other extensions created by me would also be stored in "ext/hifikabin/". For example:
  • phpBB/
    • ext/
      • hifikabin/
        • googlesearch
        • obscurecontactus
      • phpbb/
        • boardannouncements
        • boardrules
1. Download and unzip
  • Once you have downloaded an extension, you will need to unpackage it on your computer, as extensions are typically available in the compressed "zip" file format.

In Windows, to unzip the extension, simply double click it from Windows Explorer view (for instance, if you downloaded the extension to My Documents, you would open My Documents and double click the file). Proceed to click "Extract all files" under the address bar (Windows Vista, 7 and 8) or under the Folder Tasks menu (Windows XP) from within the Explorer window and follow the prompts.

On Mac, zipped files are automatically unzipped upon download by Safari (this setting can be disabled by unticking "Open safe files" in Safari's preferences) and can be accessed through the downloads list.
2. Upload to your board
  • To upload files, open your favourite FTP client (such as FileZilla, CuteFTP, SmartFTP, etc - even some internet web browsers have this capability) and log in to your account. Generally your publicly accessible files will be in an area named "public_html" or similar. Navigate to your board folder. In this example we will look at transferring the "hifikabin/googlesearch" extension. You would need to navigate to the "ext/" directory once you are in your board folder.

Drag the folder "hifikabin/googlesearch" to the "ext" folder in your FTP client. Normally there will be a small folder icon within the FTP client (this may vary from client to client) followed by the name of the directory - this is where you should be dragging the file to. If there is already an "hifikabin" folder inside your "ext" folder, then just copy the "googlesearch" folder to "ext/hifikabin/".
3. Enable
  • Once the extension has been uploaded, navigate in the board's ACP to Customise -> Manage extensions. You should see your recently uploaded extension listed under "Disabled Extensions". Simply click its "Enable" button and installation is complete!
Wordy I agree, but it really is easy to do

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

There are a lot easier ways to stop spammers with no extensions required. Post back if you want to know how.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm
There are a lot easier ways to stop spammers with no extensions required. Post back if you want to know how.
Hi Steve,

Yes. I do want to know! Does it involve hiring you? That would be ok.

Cheers Chris

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 am
Installing an extension is really easy. All you need is a program to unzip the download and a FTP program to upload them to your server.

Installing an Extension

Inside your phpBB board's directory is an "ext" folder. This is the location where all extensions are stored. ....

Hi HiFIKabin,

Thanks. I did find the instructions before I posted but I can't find a) the directory folder and b) ext.

I've downloaded all the HT docs using Filezilla and I'm viewing them in Sublime Text. I'm guessing that the "phpBB board's directory" is called something else in the forum folders and files.

Cheers Chris

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:01 pm

phpBB board's directory = the directory where you upload the board

In that directory is the ext folder

so www/yourboard.com/phpBB board's directory/ext
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 pm

cachophrastus wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm
stevemaury wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm
Hi Steve,

Yes. I do want to know! Does it involve hiring you? That would be ok.

Cheers Chris
No, not at all. What WILL work is the builtin Q&A CAPTCHA with a question that asks something unique about your site.
How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
An example of a good question, using phpbb.com as an example, is "What character forms the hair of the 8th person from the left in this board's header image?"

A: ?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Uhmmm, that extension just stops users from posting links. Has nothing to do with registration.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:28 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:01 pm

The board is already uploaded to my site. I don't want to mess about with it too much because a previous developer configured it all for me and I don't want to mess that up. I got my last developer to disable it because of the spammers. Is it possible that she deleted some folders or files to do this? (She does not reply to my emails, despite payment by return of invoice.)

I've downloaded all the HT docs for the site and I'm working on them in Sublime Text on my mac. There is a sub folder in the HT docs folder called "Forum". In that sub folder there are a further 28 various files and folders visible but I can't see one title either "directory" or "extension".

I should be able to add the extension to the HT docs I've downloaded from my server and then upload it all to the server with the extension added shouldn't I?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 am

There is no need to download/upload all of the forum files to add an extension.

Using a FTP program, go to the directory that contains your phpBB files (they may all be in the HTDOCS directory, or a sub directory. Only you can know this)

When you open he correct directory you will see something like this:-
screenshot_3.png
Opening the ext directory will display any uploaded extensions you have in their authors own directory, like this
screenshot_4.png
This is where you upload any extensions you want to use. ( exactly as I showed you HERE )

The beauty with extensions is that they do not 'mess about with' your files, but stand alone without needing any editing.

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi Janus,

Your message did not come through to me. Something about not having enough posts and the board is not allowing me to pm you either. **deleted**

Cheers Chris
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solicitation Deleted

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 am

HiFiKabin wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 am
There is no need to download/upload all of the forum files to add an extension.

Using a FTP program, go to the directory that contains your phpBB files (they may all be in the HTDOCS directory, or a sub directory. Only you can know this)

When you open he correct directory you will see something like this:-

etc. etc.........
Hi,

This is what I am seeing when I open "forum" in HT docs.

https://ibb.co/dMZFr5

As you can see there is no "ext." folder. I asked my last developer to disable the forum so I'm wondering if she just deleted some folders.

Cheers Chris
Last edited by cachophrastus on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 am

What version is your board?
It looks very old?

See your pm's
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

A link to the board may help.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 am

That file structure looks like a 3.0.x version to me therefore installing extensions is not an option and also why there is no ext folder
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email or as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”