Can't Login with New Installation

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Nik_AIDev

Can't Login with New Installation

Post by Nik_AIDev » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:46 am

I've installed phpBB-3.2.1 6 or 7 times now from the download on the website here.

The installation proceeds without error, then takes me to the ACP.

I then remove the "Install" directory as instructed, and can configure the board.

However, upon logging out, I can never log back in. There are no warnings or errors displayed. It simply does not seem to process the login.

I remember having a similar issue the last time I set up phpBB, but that was due to cookie settings (which I'm fairly confident are correct).

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Sorry I don't have much to go on, but as I said, there are no warnings or errors or anything to help pinpoint the problem. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Nik

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Can't Login with New Installation

Post by Mick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 am

Can we have a link to your board please and who’s your host? It may be just as easy to please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Thiesi
Name: Thies Haßmann

Post by Thiesi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 am

Have you changed the URL or the script path during the installation of the board, without performing a DNS-entry?
Greetings,
Thies.
German translations for extensions.
No support via PM oder mail.

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Absolutely, here is the support request. Please let me know if any other information would be helpful. This is a brand new install, so I can do whatever is needed. Strictly speaking, you do need to register an account to test logging in to an account, but I haven't even got there yet. I'm just trying to work with the default admin account. If it would help I can do a new install with a simple login for anyone here to test.

---

I have tried setting the URL manually during the installation, and leaving it as the default. They both have the same results. I even tried updating the SQL DB entry manually (as I recall this fixed the problem with my last set up), but no luck so far.

EDIT: I have attached a screenshot of the DNS settings. I haven't modified them from the defaults set by the hosting company. Please see attached.

---

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? http://immortalss59.com/forums/
Who do you host your board with? Arvixe
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? None
What language(s) is your board currently using? English GB (Default)
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience?* Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? New domain / website set up
Fresh install multiple times
Checked cookie config options match with DNS entries.
Please describe your problem. The installation proceeds without error, then takes me to the ACP.

I then remove the "Install" directory as instructed, and can configure the board.

However, upon logging out, I can never log back in. There are no warnings or errors displayed. It simply does not seem to process the login.

I remember having a similar issue the last time I set up phpBB, but that was due to cookie/DNS settings (which I'm fairly confident are correct).

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Sorry I don't have much to go on, but as I said, there are no warnings or errors or anything to help pinpoint the problem. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance!
Generated by SRT Generator

EDIT: * For clarification, I am quite experienced with PHP. It was my personal language of choice until the dev team denied my request for a UINT64 data type. I am not very familiar with the phpBB project itself however.
Attachments
immortalss59-dns.png

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

Your Cookie domain shows immortalss59.com and it should be .immortalss59.com, note the leading dot.

See Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings.

Once you’ve corrected the above rename your cookie by changing the last letter or number.

Forza Garibaldi

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you. That makes sense that it is a cookie config problem, same result as last time, same root cause.(although the specific problem was a DNS redirect last time). I ran the following SQL update command, but it still isn't letting me log in, so I will do a re-install and follow up.

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value =  '.immortalss59.com' WHERE config_name =  'cookie_domain'
As a point of clarification, it may be worth mentioning in the article that incorrect settings can cause login to fail completely (not just the "remember me" option). I did see that article, but didn't read too closely as it was more than just a "remember me" problem. Sorry about my bad on that.

Optimally, it would be a good feature request to have the installer detect and set this correctly out of the box. I have no idea how feature requests are handled here, but it would help. I'll make a note of this for next time.

Cheers

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Still not working with a fresh install. Please see attached for config settings.
Attachments
phpbb_query.png

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Your cookie settings are correct, have you spoken to your host about this?

Forza Garibaldi

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I have not yet, but I certainly can.... would you be able to advise a good approach to take with them? I feel like "phpBB isn't working" wouldn't be taken the best. :)

Ralphort

Post by Ralphort » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am

Try adding a CNAME record to it. Can't reach your site with the given IP link (only url). Did you purged your phpBB cache?

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am

I'm not a professional network/web admin, so please bear with me being a newb here. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong, or should approach this another way.

---

It is not a dedicated IP, so I would not expect you could reach that site directly only using the IP.

I have not purged my phpBB cache, as it is a fresh install each time.

I'm not sure what exactly you would like to see for a CNAME record.

---

This got me thinking and I set up a subdomain in my hosting cpanel (Please see attached for reference). This works now, so thank you.

If at all possible, would someone please explain why? I'm happy to have it working, but curious minds and all that. :)
Attachments
immortals-s59-subdomain.png

Ralphort

Post by Ralphort » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Again, it's missing a CNAME record. Try to create a CNAME record for your site url with & without the www prefix. Also no matter how miniscule the changes you made, clearing the cache & deleting all board cookies won't hurt. Try to login with & without the www prefix. Also try to login with the given (IP address:80/forums/) & see if it works. Problem like this is usually cause by misconfigured cookie/DNS settings.

Ralphort

Post by Ralphort » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Nik_AIDev wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am
It is not a dedicated IP, so I would not expect you could reach that site directly only using the IP.
It has to be a dedicated IP otherwised there's no way you can direct someone trying to query the domain server running your website if the server IP is constantly changing.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Also try to login with the given (IP address:80/forums/) & see if it works. Problem like this is usually cause by misconfigured cookie/DNS settings.
:?:

Why are you thinking that it is :80?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Nik_AIDev

Post by Nik_AIDev » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Well Im glad it's working now, and i was just trying to understand what the root of the problem was, but I don't want to cause an argument or anything.

If you want a cname record please tell me exactly what record you want and I will add it. As far as i know a cname record is for redirecting a subdomain so I don't understand what you're asking for.

As for a dedicated IP... it's not. It is quite common to have shared hosting like that. I only pay for dedicated IPs when SSL requirements force me to. In fact my hosting company doesn't offer dedicated IPs unless you can make a solid argument why it up is required. I also don't understand why this matters?

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”