Since updating from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
PintremDuck

Since updating from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2

Post by PintremDuck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 pm

I have managed to get the update to complete albeit not a great experience. I used the Auto update package from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 and then run into the timeout error that a lot of us seem to have run into.

I did try many of the suggestions before finally getting my install to complete and all I had to do in my case was to change mysql to mysqli in my config.php file.

So I thought, great, finally I'm out of the woods :lol:

But now my Users can't make any new posts or reply to any existing ones?

This is the error that we get.
Fatal error: Call to undefined method s9e\TextFormatter\Parser\Logger::getLogs() in
/phpBB/phpbb/textformatter/s9e/parser.php on line 199

Is this a bug that anyone has come across as I can't seem to find anything on this?
I'm also wondering if it could be that my files are somehow out of sync after all the changes I tried to get things working? If this is a possibility, would it be ok if I just overwrite all my current files with a refresh of the complete 3.2.2 files following the update here?
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
Only following steps 1 through 6 since I don't want to re-install or touch the database again.

Any advice or assistance would be very welcome at this point as there are hundreds of Users on this Forum.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Since updating from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2

Post by Mick » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Have you been modifying core code?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

PintremDuck

Post by PintremDuck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Nothing except the changes "Known issues in 3.2.2" that Marc supplied.
viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2453611

I added those before I got the database to update without a timeout.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am

hopefully you made a complete backup of your 3.2.1 board before you began. as least of the database.

I would suggest that you restore from your backups and start over using the current update method found here:
Updating 3.2.x to the newest phpbb 3.2.x
Backup up your board's files and database
  • Go to the admin panel of your current board and purge the cache.
  • Download the full package of 3.2. click here 3.2.x Full Package
  • Unzip it to your computer, now remove the file named config.php
  • Upload all the rest of the files and folders into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  • Browse to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/ then click the update tab, click update again and then click update database only.
  • Delete the folder named /install/
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am

robert, according to Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x there is at least one change and one additional step from what you are recommending:
phpBB Knowledge Base wrote:
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
  • Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 am

yes, I know.
the first one is not needed . it is only becuase some people believe that when you upload a folder of the same name that it can delete the other files inside it. I have been doing this since the beginning of the www and have never seen that happen. when you upload folders/files the only thing that can be overwritten is a file of the same name. those folders from the update files do not have anything but the standard index.htm etc. files in them so there is no danger of overwriting any images or other types of files during the update.

for the second one;
when you upload the new vendor folder it will overwrite any old files with new ones of the same name and add any new files it contains.
there is really nothing that can be bad by not deleting it.

if you notice, in my post I say to purge the cache folder before you start. that solves that problem.

when upgrading from one version to another it is a different process and deleting files/folders etc. is probably needed.
when updating from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 as far as I know, the quickest, simplest and safest way is the way I suggest.

thanks,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 am

P_I wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am
robert, according to Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x there is at least one change and one additional step from what you are recommending:
phpBB Knowledge Base wrote:
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
  • Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
Should say:
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images folder
About images folder, say some user changed the images for the smilies keeping for them the same name as those natives.

About store folder, only .htaccess and index.html will be overwritten, so no probs.

About files folder, only .htaccess and index.html will be overwritten, so no probs.

There is no need to keep obsolete files in the vendor folder, old story. Delete.

And the cache should be deleted as well, will be replaced by an empty one with the new files (always the same) ;)

About config.php, should be manually updated to reflect the latest version, in case of an upgrade (not update).
I opened a ticket time ago about the latter.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 am
when you upload the new vendor folder it will overwrite any old files with new ones of the same name and add any new files it contains.
there is really nothing that can be bad by not deleting it.
That is only partly true. If you do not delete the vendor folder then you will be left with files that have been removed/renamed and this may cause problems further down the line.

The "best practice" is to delete the vendor folder as advised by the developers.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 pm

when updating from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 as far as I know, the quickest, simplest and safest way is the way I suggest.
I would strongly suggest that the quickest, simplest and safest way is to follow the instructions provided by the developers.

After all, that is the methodology that has been used to test the update procedure. And if you run into problems, it is the best method to have followed so that when reaching out for support here (or elsewhere), there is no confusion on the steps taken.

Other methods such as the ones you've outlined are very similar and often achieve the same outcome in most cases. But what about the case where something doesn't work? Then the support team is left to question the exact steps taken to perform the update, which seems to me to often be the case when people are posting here that their update failed for some reason or another.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

P_I wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 pm
I would strongly suggest that the quickest, simplest and safest way is to follow the instructions provided by the developers.

After all, that is the methodology that has been used to test the update procedure. And if you run into problems, it is the best method to have followed so that when reaching out for support here (or elsewhere), there is no confusion on the steps taken.

Other methods such as the ones you've outlined are very similar and often achieve the same outcome in most cases. But what about the case where something doesn't work? Then the support team is left to question the exact steps taken to perform the update, which seems to me to often be the case when people are posting here that their update failed for some reason or another.
Ok, point taken.
Back when I created those posts for updating, there were several different official versions of the process.
I created one that I know works in 99.99% of the cases. Most of the people here with problems are newbies and need/want a simple step by step method.
That is what I always try to offer.

Anyway, as I said, point taken about the vendor and cache folders.

thanks,
robert

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”