Batch 'Force Reactivation'

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Dezdan

Batch 'Force Reactivation'

Post by Dezdan »

Is there a way to batch 'Force Reactivation'?

I'd like to go through a prune (deactivate) all users who haven't visited the forum in 2+ years, and then force them to reactivate. It is a small board, with only ~1900 members, with about half of those users fitting into the category of being pruned - so more then I want to do manually.

Any suggestions?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Batch 'Force Reactivation'

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if you prune them, they will not be able to reactivate since their accounts will be gone. pruing deletes things and once deleted it is gone period.

you can however, deactivate their accounts which I assume would force them to get reactivated before they could log in.

I wonder what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to get them to come back then send out an email to them all. the ones that are interested will reply etc.
you can't force anyone to come back to your board if they are not interested in it any longer.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Dezdan

Post by Dezdan »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pmif you prune them, they will not be able to reactivate since their accounts will be gone. pruing deletes things and once deleted it is gone period.
Not true, when pruning you have the option of deleting or deactivating.
Prune.jpg
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pmyou can however, deactivate their accounts which I assume would force them to get reactivated before they could log in.
Yes, however, you have to provide them with the reactivation link, without it, they just won't be able to log on.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pmI wonder what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to get them to come back then send out an email to them all. the ones that are interested will reply etc.
I want to first clean the users up in a controllable fashion (20 or so at a time). Seeing the board is 10+ years old, many of the emails are likely no longer valid and moreover, many probably belonged to spammers and are no longer in existence. If I sent out a mass email, my ISP might see it as spam and shutdown my VPS and furthermore, the big email companies (AOL, gmail, yahoo, msn, hotmail, etc.) will see all the bounces and blacklist my servers IP - this has already happened and took months to get unblacklisted!
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pmyou can't force anyone to come back to your board if they are not interested in it any longer.
I'm well aware of that, if they don't reactivate after a month, their account is deleted.
david63

Post by david63 »

Perhaps this might help - viewtopic.php?f=456&t=238258
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Dezdan

Post by Dezdan »

david63 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 am Perhaps this might help - viewtopic.php?f=456&t=238258
Wrong link? I have no issues with guest posting, as they've never been able to.
david63

Post by david63 »

Sorry it should have been - viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2382581
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”