Nucaptcha

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Nucaptcha

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:47 am

Ok thanks. That extension is five years old and for phpBB 3.1. It is said many 3.1 extensions will work with 3.2 but as it’s a spambot extension it’s well out of date and still in [Beta] so I suspect it’s no longer being supported, you could ask the author in the topic for the extension. The third party nucaptcha site is here http://nucaptcha.com.

I suggest you use the built in Q&A with a question that the answer CANNOT be Googled alongside activating the newly registered user group by setting the post count to one then all new registrants have to have their first post approved.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 am

OK thank you for the help with this.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:17 pm

kronos1 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 am
Thank you for all your help with this EA117 but it's starting to get a bit above my head so I have set the Q&A captha which seems to be working ok so far.
Sure, understandable. The issue will happily wait until the day you want to return to an advanced captcha. 😁

One thing thing which is perhaps "easy" to look at when you're ready is the "PHP Information" page in ACP, General tab, Quick Access. In the "Core" category of that PHP Information page, see whether "allow_url_fopen" is set to "On" or "Off". In absence of seeing the PHP error log, this setting having been changed to "Off" by your hosting provider (as part of "new security defaults" or similar) is one of the possible reasons why things suddenly began failing with "the solution is not correct" outcome.

So if you find that "allow_url_fopen" is set to "Off" in the PHP Information page, you could discuss that with your hosting provider how you're expected to turn it back "On" if needed within your hosting account. If you find the setting is already still "On", then the issue must have some other cause, and finding & inspecting the PHP error log is still needed.

Regardless of what the situation is for the Nucaptcha extension, that's not an explanation for why current shipping phpBB 3.2.7 reCaptcha plug-in also fails when you tried to fall back to that. A hosting change in the "allow_url_fopen" setting could very well be the impetus for why both Nucaptcha and reCaptcha starting failing now...

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm

My "allow_url_fopen" is set to "On" in the PHP Information page.

I am having trouble finding the error PHP error log on the server.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:18 pm

kronos1 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm
My "allow_url_fopen" is set to "On" in the PHP Information page.

I am having trouble finding the error PHP error log on the server.
Well, it's good that "allow_url_fopen" is set to "On" so we can rule that out, but this does mean the error log will be important to try and gain some more specific clues as to what actually is failing.

I should have mentioned, in that same PHP Information display's "Core" section, there is an "error_log" value. It can be set to a specific file name, or might be set to a reserved word like "syslog", which means the PHP errors are being dumped to the main Linux system logs. If it's not set to any value at all, this can mean PHP is installed as an Apache web server module, and errors are going to the Apache error log.

If you're happy with QA, its certainly a method that doesn't require external dependencies. I just wouldn't be willing to accept "Oh, starting this week, without explanation I can no longer use my captcha service." So wanted to provide some ideas on where to look next if and when you want to pursue it, rather than just "abandon ship" without an attempt to figure out what happened.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Here are the values from the Core section.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 144 times

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Yesterday I sent NuCaptcha an email as that is all you can do on their website now and ten minutes ago I had this reply which has solved my issue to an extent, I have now asked them what I need to do. So all my settings on the forum should be ok.

"NuCaptcha v1.x was sunset in 2018, and the supporting infrastructure was decommissioned earlier this week."

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

What does that mean?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Mick wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm
What does that mean?
I assume "was sunset" is put to to bed and no longer looked after???

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Just had this reply back, that's the end of that then.

"Thank you for your interest in NuCaptcha. Currently, we only support Enterprise customers so I do not have a suitable product to offer you. I recommend looking into Google reCaptcha as an alternative solution."

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:51 pm

kronos1 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm
"NuCaptcha v1.x was sunset in 2018, and the supporting infrastructure was decommissioned earlier this week."
Not great news, but at least helpful for explaining the "suddenly stopped working this week", and provides confirmation that the failure has no bearing on why Google reCaptcha also doesn't work for you. i.e. It's not because of a PHP hosting change on the server affected communication by both plug-ins; the Nucaptcha failure was uniquely Nucaptcha.

The PHP error log settings shown would make me check whether my Apache error log was receiving the PHP errors. If you talk to your hosting provider about anything else, maybe asking them about where you can expect to see the PHP errors would help point you to where they're at in your particular hosting account.

Since you didn't seem to know what the source of the Google reCaptcha v2 keys was, maybe its also worth requesting your own new set of v2 keys and making sure that doesn't solve the reCaptcha failure? e.g. Maybe reCaptcha is failing to report what is actually some kind of expired or disabled key situation, or keys that were created for a different domain name, for whatever apparently unknown set of keys were currently entered in the phpBB Spambot Countermeasures configuration for the reCaptcha plug-in on your site. Since you made it sound like "all you had to do was select it", without having to first configure it with API keys.

If the issue continued, my own next step would be comparing for file differences & disabling extensions, in an attempt to determine why "reCaptcha v2 works fine in phpBB 3.2.7, but not on my site." But understandable if that's not an extent you have time or are willing to pursue at this time. Making a copy of your site to a local XAMPP installation and investigating it that way (without interrupting the live site) is also an option.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”