SMTP + Gmail help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
oakhearted
Name: Cheyne Mayfield

SMTP + Gmail help

Post by oakhearted »

The emails arent coming through,

I am using Google Workspace for this.
Attachments
smtp2.PNG
smtp1.PNG
J. H. Rasmussen

Re: SMTP + Gmail help

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

Found this link, it may be useful: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

The settings you're using looks a little confusing, some places you indicate that you want to use SSL/TLS and other places you don't.

Here is the settings you should probably be using(partly based on the link i posted):

Standard SMTP(not using a secure connection)
SMTP server address and protocol: smtp-relay.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 25
SMTP username/password: [If required]
Verify SSL certificate: No
Verify SMTP peer name: No
Allow self-signed certificate: No

Secure SMTP with SSL/TLS:
SMTP server address and protocol(You may have to prepend the ssl:// or tls:// protocol to the address): smtp-relay.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 587 or 465
Verify SSL certificate: [your choice]
Verify SMTP peer name: [your choice]
Allow self-signed certificate: Yes if certificate is self-signed otherwise No(No is probably the right choice in your case)
oakhearted

Post by oakhearted »

J. H. Rasmussen wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am Found this link, it may be useful: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

The settings you're using looks a little confusing, some places you indicate that you want to use SSL/TLS and other places you don't.

Here is the settings you should probably be using(partly based on the link i posted):

Standard SMTP(not using a secure connection)
SMTP server address and protocol: smtp-relay.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 25

Secure SMTP with SSL/TLS:
SMTP server address and protocol(You may have to prepend the ssl:// or tls:// protocol to the address): smtp-relay.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 587 or 465
Verify SSL certificate: [your choice]
Verify SMTP peer name: [your choice]
Allow self-signed certificate: Yes if certificate is self-signed otherwise No(No is probably the right choice in your case)

What do I put in the phpbb forums setting?
J. H. Rasmussen

oakhearted wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am What do I put in the phpbb forums setting?
The settings you want for you forum? ;)

I don't understand the question, can you be a bit more specific about what settings you're referring to?
J. H. Rasmussen

You need to make sure that GENERAL > Email settings > Enable board-wide emails is enabled, beside of that you should probably use the settings you want to.

To test out your email configuration, you should probably try to send yourself an email. That's done by clicking the Send a test email button found in the GENERAL > Email settings part of the ACP.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

The best way to test email is register an test account on your phpBB forum using the email address provided by this service or similar service.

https://www.mail-tester.com/

That service is designed to accept anything regardless of issues. In addition to determining if the email is sent it will also flag other issues that could prevent email from being delivered. For example if you have bad reverse DNS emails like that are dropped into a black hole. The recipient never gets it and the sender never receives error notification.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
EA117

Post by EA117 »

For the settings shown in your original screen shot, it is very unlikely that smtp.gmail.com is accepting any connections for port 25, the default non-secure SMTP port. As described in the "Use the Gmail STMP server" section of the link J. H. Rasmussen posted, you would need to use a secure port like 587. It is also unlikely that "hewan" is the correct SMTP authentication username.

If you are not using 2-step verification with your Gmail account, to use smtp.gmail.com you would also need to enable "access for less secure applications" in order to allow your Gmail account login to work over SMTP. If you are using 2-step verification with your Gmail account, then you will need to assign an App Password to allow your Gmail account login to work over SMTP.

Once you have your Gmail account enabled for SMTP access, the recommended phpBB settings:
  • Use SMTP server for email: Yes
    SMTP server address and protocol: smtp.gmail.com (do not add any ssl:// or tls:// prefix)
    SMTP server port: 587
    Authentication method for SMTP: PLAIN
    SMTP username: hewan@hewan.org (assuming this is your Workplace email address)
    SMTP password: (the app password or account password assigned)

The alternative described in the link J. H. Rasmussen posted is to use the Google Workspace SMTP relay service, as described in the "Use SMTP relay service (recommended)" section. You must enable this in your Google Workspace administration console, and assign the IP address of your web server as being the IP address authorized to send mail on your behalf.

Once you have the Google Workspace SMTP relay service setup to allow your phpBB web server's IP address, the recommended phpBB settings:
    SMTP server address and protocol: smtp-relay.gmail.com (do not add any ssl:// or tls:// prefix)
    Authentication method for SMTP: NONE
    SMTP username: blank/empty
    SMTP password: blank/empty
oakhearted

Post by oakhearted »

The alternative described in the link J. H. Rasmussen posted is to use the Google Workspace SMTP relay service, as described in the "Use SMTP relay service (recommended)" section. You must enable this in your Google Workspace administration console, and assign the IP address of your web server as being the IP address authorized to send mail on your behalf.

Once you have the Google Workspace SMTP relay service setup to allow your phpBB web server's IP address, the recommended phpBB settings:
    SMTP server address and protocol: smtp-relay.gmail.com (do not add any ssl:// or tls:// prefix)
    Authentication method for SMTP: NONE
    SMTP username: blank/empty
    SMTP password: blank/empty
I cannot see where the setting of this is, Can you describe this a bit more? I need screenshots possibly.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

ACP, General, Client communication, Email settings
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”