Incompatible Extensions for 3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: Incompatible Extensions for 3.2

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Many in the DB haven't been validated for 3.2 but work just fine in 3.2....others don't.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

And some extensions have fixes for 3.2 but don't release the fixes in a 3.2 version for whatever reason... Looking at you board3 portal...
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
DWFII
Name: D.W.

Post by DWFII »

Simple mentions (which was validated on 15 may) is only half compatible...or better way to put it--only half working on 3.2.

Wouldn't post this except the author is aware of the problem but says a fix won't be happening "anytime soon."
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

DWFII wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:03 pm Simple mentions (which was validated on 15 may) is only half compatible...or better way to put it--only half working on 3.2.

Wouldn't post this except the author is aware of the problem but says a fix won't be happening "anytime soon."
It is working for 100% the only little error is a not complete link in the e-mail (if the user enabled that function.)
You are making a elephant from a mosquito as the say in the Netherlands ;)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

I don't think so--the main purposed of an extension such as this is to alert the person mentioned that they are now part of the discussion.

For this to work the person mentioned has to be able to link back to the topic in which they were mentioned. Esp. on a very active forum, finding a mention without an active or correct link might be more time consuming than either necessary or worthwhile.

Correct and functional email links are critical.

Otherwise, what's the difference between what Simple mentions does and this: @janus_zonstraal

??
DWFII
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Otherwise, what's the difference between what Simple mentions does and this: @janus_zonstraal
I don't get a e-mail on a red text
I don't get a notification in the right upper corner on a red text.

And in my case I even don't want a email, a notification on the board is for me Ok.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

When I installed it and used it, I got "@username" in red text...in the post itself.

I was happy with that because that is more or less what a function like this does in other forums.

When it sent an email notification to the user mentioned, it said:
I was happy about that as well because again this is the way a mention function is supposed to work.

When my user clicked on the link and got a 404 he was not happy.

And I was not happy because this is not the way a mention function is supposed to work.

Which is worse "making an elephant out of mosquito" or making a mosquito out of an elephant?

And hope you don't get trampled. :mrgreen:
DWFII
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

PS.

Re: red text...

Here is a screen shot from the author's own extension page:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
DWFII
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Please stay on-topic here guys. This topic is only for mentioning incompatible extensions. For further in-depth discussion about issues with the extension, you can use the designated CDB area for it.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

JimA wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:53 pm Please stay on-topic here guys. This topic is only for mentioning incompatible extensions. For further in-depth discussion about issues with the extension, you can use the designated CDB area for it.
I appreciate your caution and I will not pursue this any further. But, in passing, I must say that I don't think what has gone down so far is off-topic.

Simple mentions is not compatible with phpBB 3.2 simply because it does not work the way it is advertised to work. The author acknowledges this. Presumably, it was certified too soon and with not enough testing. It is no more compatible with phpBB 3.2 than any of the many other extensions in development. If it's in the database and certified to work with phpBB 3.2, then it ought to work pure and simple...or it's not compatible.

IMO...
DWFII
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

It works in 3.2, what you found is a bug in the code....just as all computer programs can have bugs.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:57 pm It works in 3.2, what you found is a bug in the code....just as all computer programs can have bugs.
I understand that...there's even a work-around / hack offered by TheRiddler. But if it doesn't fulfill its "prime directive" in 3.2, it isn't just a bug.

And the author has said that a fix "isn't going to happen anytime soon." The case might even be made that the extension has been abandoned.

Again, I don't want to pursue this but it fairly begs the question--what's the point of a topic about "incompatible Extensions for 3.2" if it doesn't include extensions that don't work in 3.2? By what definition are they compatible?
DWFII
david63

Post by david63 »

DWFII wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:17 pm By what definition are they compatible?
The intention of this topic (which I started) was give a handy reference point when phpBB 3.2 was released showing which phpBB 3.1 extensions were incompatible with phpBB 3.2.

If a 3.2 extension does not work correctly then it should be discussed in the support topic for that extension.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

You didn't answer the question (which you quoted) but OK...no more remarks about 3.2 extensions that may or may not work.
DWFII
david63

Post by david63 »

DWFII wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm You didn't answer the question (which you quoted) but OK...no more remarks about 3.2 extensions that may or may not work.
Simple - they don't work as intended.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”