search_wordmatch table - can it be emptied?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
contamine

search_wordmatch table - can it be emptied?

Post by contamine »

We have a forum that has grown over a period of several years and the database is now 1.3 GB. The search_wordmatch table is, of course, the largest at 700 MB. Backups have become a bit of a challenge and we are searching for solutions to either reduce the size of the database or feel confident about an approach to backups that is a little easier than backing up the whole database each time.

So, the question is what would be the actual repercussions of clearing the search_wordmatch table of its data?

Alternatively, but along the same lines, if we were to adopt a backup scheme that bypasses backing up the search_wordmatch table what kind of trouble would we be facing if we had a catastrophic database loss and our backups did NOT contain the search_wordmatch data?
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: search_wordmatch table - can it be emptied?

Post by JimA »

That wouldn't be too much of a problem. Those tables contain the data necessary for the search on your board to function properly. If you don't back-up the data from that table your search wouldn't work when putting the back-up back. However, a new search index can easily be rebuild from the ACP. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Note that there is a bug in the phpBB 3.0 to 3.1 updater that can artificially inflate the search_wordmatch table size. As far as I can tell, this bug has never been fixed.

See viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2269831
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 am
Note that there is a bug in the phpBB 3.0 to 3.1 updater that can artificially inflate the search_wordmatch table size. As far as I can tell, this bug has never been fixed.

See viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2269831
Whenever there is a major version upgrade, I always empty the search tables (and inactivate). Filling up the search tables is something for when the forum is ready.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”