phpbb 3.2 + nginx

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Icos

phpbb 3.2 + nginx

Post by Icos »

Hi. I'm using the phpbb since 2003.Never ever had any troubles installing it.

Today i've tried to make a clean install of the 3.2 version on nginx server. And as many users i've stumbled at the very first step: the "Install" tab leads you to the /forum/install/app.php/install page which is not exists. After a quick search, i've found at this thread that i have to setup my nginx server in a very special way to even install the forum!

And this is beyond me! Why should i ever change the config of my server to install a forum? Why should i redirect the parameters passed to the app.php via "/install" by hacking into the server configs? What's wrong with plain and simple "app.php?a=install" way which is supported by any server by default? Really guys, you've amazed me today!

And what if the user has no access to the server's config file? Before he could easily install the forum, but now it's impossible in such conditions.

Please, guys, prove me wrong and tell me, that there is still a way to install phpbb on nginx old way without changing the configs of the server. Is there any switch or flag in the config of the forum to use it as usual?
SiteSplat

Re: phpbb 3.2 + nginx

Post by SiteSplat »

The answer is:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

See my post: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=49426
- FLATBOOTS - phpBB 3.3 Flat Design - Bootstrap Framework
- Deploy an SSD cloud server in 55s. Sign up and get 2 months free.
- phpBB Community & Premium Themes & Premium Extensions
- Contact me Via PM or e-mail for Custom phpBB work and Web Development needs
🎨phpBB Professional Premium Themes🔥
Icos

Post by Icos »

What can i say... But why?
Isn't a plain passing of parameters via ? good enough these days?
AlexandrBu

Post by AlexandrBu »

Very upset after find out that phpBB 3.2 does not support Nginx
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

AlexandrBu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 am Very upset after find out that phpBB 3.2 does not support Nginx
It does support it, you just need to configure nginx correctly.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There are users who have installed phpBB with nginx without any issues so I’d call “server set up”.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Thank you SiteSplat/Gwyneth Llewelyn, that solution worked for me - I was also getting the problem of clicking the "Install" button and the page was redirecting back on to itself.

I just wanted to re-iterate the answer to get phpBB 3.2 working with Nginx because this topic is one of the first results on Google for that search term, and the code to fix it isn't on this page.

In the /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ directory, I edited the file for my subdomain and added this (as mentioned over at Area51):

Code: Select all

location /install/app.php {
                try_files $uri $uri/ /install/app.php?$query_string;
        }
Then I ran sudo service nginx restart for good measure, refreshed the page and the Installer works perfectly.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

If the sample nginx config file provided in the docs/ directory doesn't actually work, please submit a bug ticket.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Out of the box with the configuration in the docs I think it would be fine, mine was an extreme edge case :)

I was mucking around with installing a 3.2 board on the same Vagrant box as the latest development version. It might be loosely related to http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15400 but because with that Vagrant setup the board is pre-installed and most people wouldn't have any need to go through the installation process there's probably little reason to make an official change. I just wanted to add my thanks to the poster above that his solution did the trick for me :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
AlexandrBu

Post by AlexandrBu »

Please can some one tell what can i do with install(upgrade) script of phpBB for it can install and upgrade?
I tried to chnage nginx conf but it does not help, where must be an easy way to make install script work without change web server config
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why are so many people trying to install on this nginx server? I admit, I have no idea what nginx is about. is it a new OS for web servers or what?

why would nginx not work like all the other server setups around the world? are they like godaddy and trying to make everyone conform to their way of how a server should be setup?

I have used a lot of hosting companies over the years, I have had to change mine twice in the last two years. I have never yet run across a hosting company that uses nginx.

call me confused.

robert
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm why are so many people trying to install on this nginx server?
Because nginx (web server) have some benefits over Apache. DuckDuckGo/Google can help.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm why would nginx not work like all the other server setups around the world?
Because it is aimed for power users, and configuration files have their own language.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm I have never yet run across a hosting company that uses nginx.
Shared hostings do not offer nginx (not that I'm aware of) because it needs direct interaction with configuration files, so you need access to the server. It's widely used in VPSs and dedicated servers.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

normally stuff aimed at powerusers would not be an issue for normal users, since the normal user wouldn't be trying to use it in the first place.

which begs the question of why do we have so many normal users here having problems setting up a server os that is not for normal users.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”