Faulty upgrade instructions?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
k0nsl
Name: Eduard Drehner

Faulty upgrade instructions?

Post by k0nsl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello,

I run numerous phpBB3 boards and today I finally got around to upgrading two boards which ran older versions of phpBB3 (3.1.10). I downloaded correct 'changed files' package and did what you always do, no problems there.
But the instructions say:
As for the other update procedures, you should run install/database_update.php after you have finished updating the files.
As per: https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents ... date_files

There is no 'database_update.php' in the install directory. I downloaded the package twice just to make sure. Well, then I decided to do the other option of doing it via the CLI, e.g:

Code: Select all

php bin/phpbbcli.php --safe-mode db:migrate
After I did that I went to the ACP and cleared the cache and it still shows that the board is running version 3.1.10.

At any rate, maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just being out of the loop since I have been so busy with other things in life lately and haven't really kept up with phpBB.

If anyone has some advice or help then I will be most grateful.

Best wishes,
-k0nsl
I'm a programmer, server administrator, designer, spokesman and factotum of a wide-variety of web pages.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Faulty upgrade instructions?

Post by stevemaury » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Those instructions are for UPDATING from earlier versions of 3.2.X, such as the RC Releases. They do not apply to what you are doing, which is UPGRADING from 3.1.x.
if you currently have 3.2.0 you should select the appropriate phpBB-3.2.1-files.zip/tar.bz2 file.

As for the other update procedures, you should run install/database_update.php after you have finished updating the files.
Here is how to upgrade (not Update):

1. Backup your files and database.
2. Delete ALL the files and folders in your board's root folder EXCEPT config.php file and the /files, /images, /ext and /store folders.
3. Download and unzip the full set of 3.2.0. files from the downloads here.
4. Delete from the unzipped package the config.php file and the /files, /images, /ext and /store folders, and then upload the remaining contents of the phpBB3 folder to your board's root folder.
5. Browse to example.com/your_board_root/install and choose the update option.
6. Delete the install folder.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

k0nsl
Name: Eduard Drehner

Re: Faulty upgrade instructions?

Post by k0nsl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Oh. alright I see. I will give that a try instead :)

Thanks!

-k0nsl
stevemaury wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 pm
Those instructions are for UPDATING from earlier versions of 3.2.X, such as the RC Releases. They do not apply to what you are doing, which is UPGRADING from 3.1.x.
if you currently have 3.2.0 you should select the appropriate phpBB-3.2.1-files.zip/tar.bz2 file.

Here is how to upgrade (not Update):

1. Backup your files and database.
2. Delete ALL the files and folders in your board's root folder EXCEPT config.php file and the /files, /images, /ext and /store folders.
3. Download and unzip the full set of 3.2.0. files from the downloads here.
4. Delete from the unzipped package the config.php file and the /files, /images, /ext and /store folders, and then upload the remaining contents of the phpBB3 folder to your board's root folder.
5. Browse to example.com/your_board_root/install and choose the update option.
6. Delete the install folder.
I'm a programmer, server administrator, designer, spokesman and factotum of a wide-variety of web pages.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”