Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
water01

Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2

Post by water01 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:46 pm

I have successfully upgraded my forum on a trial server in my possession and I am now planning the the upgrade of the live system.

When I upgraded my test system I had the luxury of setting my PHP timeout to -1 as per the CLI but I will not be able to do this to the live system as my hosting service for obvious reasons will not allow it.

The release notes suggest doing this
From your board's root, execute the following command: php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
2 questions 1) Is my board root /phpBB and 2) can this be run once I am there (in the board's root) by SSH and how is the progress reported?

water01

Re: Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2

Post by water01 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Would it be possible for someone to clarify this please.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.2.x
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4
  • MODs for 3.0.x are incompatible with 3.2.x and their functionality will be removed in the update process.
  • Styles for 3.0.x cannot be installed or used on 3.2.x.
  1. Backup up your board's files and database
  2. Download the Support Toolkit. Install it and run the database cleaner to remove all old MODs from the database.
  3. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
  7. Download the 3.2.x Full Package to your computer and unzip it.
  8. Delete the blank config.php file from it. (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  9. Upload all the remaining files/folders to your server where your old board was.
  10. Browse to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/ then click the update tab. Click update database only. This could take a long time on a large board, maybe hours.
  11. Delete the folder named /install/
  12. Hold one foot in the air and spin around in a circle three times saying "I am a phpbb guru".
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

water01

Post by water01 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Thank you for you reply but I have already done that as I stated in my original post.

My question had two specific parts
1) Is my board root /phpBB
and 2) can this be run once I am there (in the board's root) by SSH and how is the progress reported?
as I was unsure of when upgrading using the CLI and
From your board's root, execute the following command: php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Your board's root is the top-level folder your board is in -- the folder with config.php

water01

Post by water01 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Thank you that is clear now.

So to run
php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
is it correct that I can SSH onto my server get myself to the root folder and enter the commands as stated?

How does it show progress once it is started or is it just a case of waiting for the command to complete?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”