High CPU load after update to 3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Deleted 2021.03.24
I am too lazy to register

High CPU load after update to 3.2

Post by Deleted 2021.03.24 »

Hello,
on 21st March I updated my forum from 3.1.10 to 3.2 with changed files package. Also updated the vendor folder.
After that my forum has 26-28 minutes processor time /the limit of my host is 30 per 24 hours/. Before the update with the old version it was 10-12 minutes.
My installation is standard - doesen't have extension, use deafault theme and default language. I've banned some bots with .htaccess file. And the forum is not very active - 10 users online with guests and searching bots.
After I stopped the registration form the minutes dropped to 24. /the new recaptcha is also easy for bots/.
So is it normal the new version to be such "hungry" for processor time?

P.S. I've tested changing php versions and it performs better with php 7.1
NextClick

Re: High CPU load after update to 3.2

Post by NextClick »

Hi i upgrade from "phpbb 3.0.11/php 5.4" to "php 3.2.0/php 7.0" and cpu time is cca 50% lower!
Maybe is problem in extension. Disable all extensions and make cpu measuring again.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

eangelov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:15 amdoesen't have extension
NextClick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 pmMaybe is problem in extension. Disable all extensions
Well played.

Apart from that: the code that needs to be processed rose from 3.1 to 3.2, which (of course) eats more CPU cycles. The boost you got with PHP7 is relative (it speeds up any PHP code, likewise a 3.1 installation), but it doesn't cure the culprit. Each coming phpBB version will be more resource hungry, so you have to keep an eye on your limits. Processing a potential .htaccess with all its instructions also consumes CPU cycles - try it one day without and check the differences.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Deleted 2021.03.24
I am too lazy to register

Post by Deleted 2021.03.24 »

Thanks for the answer. In htaccess file there are more than 15 spam bots which will rise the processor time probably to 150 minutes per 24 hours.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”