Hjelp. I don;t know what I am doing!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
novw

Re: Hjelp. I don;t know what I am doing!

Post by novw »

novw wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm Ok, I'll admit, I am stupid. I have a forum that has been running for a long, long time. My host decided to update PHP, so I was forced to update my phpbb. So I told them I can't. So they decided to update the forum to 3.1.10. It worked. Until the actual php update took place.

I downloaded phpBB-3.1.10_to_3.2.0.zip
I unpacked
I uploaded install/ to my webspace
I uploaded vendor/ to my webspace
I went to forum2/install
Clicked the update tab
clicked update
got a quetion that was russian to me, but I recognized something about FTP
filled in the ftp-data
Lumpy Burgertushie told me to use FULL 3.2 package
novw wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 pm working on it now. What do I do with conflicting files in the folders that remain? Keep the ones on the server, or overwrite with the new ones?
Seriously. I am NOT trying to be an ass.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you follow the instructions THERE WILL BE NO CONFLICTING FILES.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
novw

Post by novw »

Sigh. No. there will not be conflicting files. There are no conflicting files. There can not be conflicting files. You are right. Happy now?

And still the fresh install is not working because my database is not completed.

I can only draw a single conclusion. The auto-update tool is not working. The fresh install is not working, and I am screwed because of using an official download that should have worked, but turns out after 5 days only works in very, very, very specific cases. A "litle thing" that was NOT in the manual. The manual says I have a choice. It does not state I will be fucked when I update.
Last edited by novw on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Best of luck with your upgrade.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
novw

Post by novw »

Thanks for your help. It did not help. One tiny bit. I am still stuck. At least you did not assume things, or tried to bully me into a corner, or refused to understand what I am saying, or give _any_ useful advice. Oh... Wait...
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the point is that if you follow the instructions properly and use the full package upgrade system, there will be no files there that could show you a list of files etc.
that is only part of the autoupdate that I agree, does not work when upgrading from one version to the next.

give this a try;

access your database using phpmyadmin or whatever your host provides.

find the migrations table and empty/truncate it. do NOT delete it, empty it.

then, start over with the full upgrade proces following this exactly and in order, do not do anything not in the list and do not leave out any step:

Upgrading from phpbb 3.1.x/3.2.x or updating to newest phpbb 3.2.x
Backup up your board's files and database
  • Go to the admin panel of your current board and purge the cache.
  • In your ftp, delete all of your phpBB 3.1.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /ext/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /images/ directory
    • Download the full package of 3.2. click here 3.2.x Full Package
    • Unzip it to your computer, now remove the file named config.php
    • Upload all the rest of the files and folders into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
    • Browse to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/ then click the update tab. Click update database only.
    • Delete the folder named /install/
    drobret
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
novw

Post by novw »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm access your database using phpmyadmin or whatever your host provides.

find the migrations table and empty/truncate it. do NOT delete it, empty it.

I am in need of assistance here. This is like abacadabra to me. I don't even have a clue if my host will grant me access to that. I will contact them to see what this means.

Thank you.
novw

Post by novw »

I was afraid of this. Host can do nothing anymore. They have done their part: upgrade the php (sql? Something) . the rest is my problem now.

So I had a look in this phpmyadmin. Somehow I managed to log in (I have no clue how...), and I see these "tables". One of them is phpbb_migrations. I can click it,

It has a lot of sub-tables:

Code: Select all

phpbb_migrations
	New
        migration_data_done
        migration_data_state
        migration_depends_on
        migration_end_time
        migration_name
        migration_schema_done
        migration_start_time
     Indexes
	New
        PRIMARY
On the right side of the screen, all sub-tables are empty, if I click phpbb_migrations, I get 25 lines of "things" on the right. I can select each line individually, and _have_ an option to delete the item. I don;t want to make the same mistake as earlier. Does anybody know what I do now (in phpmyadmin that is?) ?
Lumpy Burgertushie

I know this seems complicated but it is not. Just follow my instructions exactly and in order and it will work out. If anything shows up that I did not mention and you don't know what to do, just stop and come back here to ask about it.

first, you should always make a backup of the database before you start doing any work on it.

when you are in phpmyadmin and you see the list of databases on the left, find yours and click on it so that yo usee its list of tables on the right.,

now, in the tabs at the top of the screen, you will see one that says export, click on it.
'
on the next page click the go button and keep doing that until it pops up a download box. tell it to save it to your computer somewhere so you can find it.

now, that is your backup and you can then start your work on the database.

when you have the correct phpbb database in the list on the left side, look at the list of tables on the right side.

scroll down and you will find one named phpbb_migrations do NOT click on it .

you will see a check box at the very beginning of the line. check that box. do NOT check any other boxes.
now, scroll down to the bottom of the list you should see a drop down menu that says "with selected", click to drop it down.
you should see "empty" as one of the choices.

choose that. on the next page you should see a message that says:
"TRUNCATE `phpbb_search_wordlist`;TRUNCATE `phpbb_migrations`;"
if it says anything other than that, click on the no button and go back and start again. if it does say that then click on the yes button,

now, close that and log out of your hosting control panel etc.

now , go back and start your upgrade procedure all over again.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
novw

Post by novw »

Robert (Lumpy Burgertushie): I salute you and take of my hat deeply. Your solution would have been my second attempt this evening. and I think I would have made it... :D

I got in touch with a fellow Dutchman (Janus), and he made me do everything all over again. And it did not work. So he came up with the simplest of solutions...For future reference, please put this in a doc file??!!

In the /store/ folder we found 2 files: install_config.php and io_lock.lock. Delete the 2 files, and the installer runs on to the update database. And 2 minutes later I saw
The installer has finished successfully

Take me to the ACP
Successfully updated extension phpbb/viglink
The database update was successful.
a quick peek at the admin panel learned me
Your phpBB installation is up to date. There are no updates available at this time. - Re-Check version
Current version 3.2.0
I don't know where those files were from, and I don't know how they got there. Both are dated TODAY. I am guessing the files are placed there by the installer. I did not put them there, and yes, I deleted the /store/ and copied all new files from the v3.2 installation. And the .zip does not contain those files. I have re-read this entire thread, and nobody mentioned those files.

A big shoutout to Janus for figuring this out !

now a mod may mark this as solved :) :) :) :) :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

I did not mention that because if, you have replaced all the old files with new ones, there is no way those files would be there unless you had tried to run the install since you replaced the old files with new ones.
glad you got it sorted out.

rob ert

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”