Cannot open Permissions page

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DLRA

Cannot open Permissions page

Post by DLRA »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.0
What is your board's URL? http://www.dlra.org.au/forum
Who do you host your board with? http://www.gcom.net.au
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.10
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? removed by user
What password can be used to view this issue? removed by user
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? The last action was the update to 3.2.0. It was only after trying to set some moderator permissions that I became aware of the problem.
Please describe your problem. When I select the permissions tab on the ACP I get the following message.

The www.dlra.org.au page isn???t working
www.dlra.org.au is currently unable to handle this request.
Generated by SRT Generator
david63

Re: Cannot open Permissions page

Post by david63 »

DLRA wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:49 am How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
Using "one click" installers/up-graders is known to cause problems due to the fact that these files are modified and nobody here knows what changes have been made.

You have two options:

1. Contact your host as it is their software that has the problem.
2. Replace the files with a copy downloaded from this site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DLRA

Post by DLRA »

Just before I go complaining to my host.
Site hosting administration is done through cpanel.
So is it likely that the host would modify cpanel?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it has nothing to do with changing cpanel.

cpanel is a software that many, if not most, hosting companies use to give their customers a way to work with their website. one of the things available in cpanel software is the one click installer programs for many different web based things like phpbb, wordpress, etc.

the company that provides those one click installer scripts to cpanel have to change the phpbb files to make them work in the one click installer. therefore, they are no longer the same files you get from phpbb.com

phpbb.com and the rest of us do not know how they have changed them and can not help you very much with the problems that it causes.

now, your host is going to tell you that they do not support third party scripts and phpbb.com does not support it and the company that created it is not going to support the user/you.

so, it looks like you are just going to have to bite the bullet and download the correct files from here. then read and follow the instructions on how to install it that you will find here etc.
for your situation, you can simply download the current version full package from here.

unzip it to your computer.
remove the file named config.php from it

using your ftp program, connect to your server, and upload all of the rest of the phpBB3 files and folders to your server and let them overwrite the phpbb files that the one click install created.

once that is done,

you go in your browser to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install

you will get a page that has tabs, one of those tabs will say "update" click on it.

then click on update again and then check the update database only box and click submit.

once that is done. go back to the ftp and delete the folder named install

you are done.

rob ert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”