Need Anti Spam Advice

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
pawswatch

Need Anti Spam Advice

Post by pawswatch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi phpbb,

I had previously set a captcha based on a question, and had not had problems for quite awhile. I also had the board set so I was supposed to be able to approve new posts, but this no longer seems to be working. You helped me get this set up previously.

A few days ago I started getting 4-5 registrations a day from spammers or spambots, and I was just deleting the accounts and posts. All from Russia.

The spammers retaliated last night by creating approximately 300 new accounts with mostly a single post from each.

I have since disabled new registrations and started banning the IPs before deleting them.

Is there a way to select a large group of accounts, ban the ips, and delete them at once?

If you could also post instructions on how to install an image captcha for me with advice on the best sort of image that would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Need Anti Spam Advice

Post by KevC » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:48 pm

When they learn the answer to your question, it's time to change it, otherwise, as you've seen they hammer it.

You can delete multiple accounts in users and groups > prune users. Click 'find a member' under the users prune box and you can select whole pages at once.

Banning IPs of spammers is largely pointless as they rarely use the same one twice.

Changing your question should be enough to stop them. phpB3.2 has recaptcha installed if you want to try that. It's configurable in the antispam countermeasures.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Read my signature below.

androidcribs
Name: Joey Devs

Post by androidcribs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 am

Kindly read my post here viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2416331
I also experienced this last few days. Also came from Russia. I know they use bot to spam PHPBB forum.
I suggest use like mine https://www.zyberph.com/ucp.php?mode=register I added 10 secs wait to register and sortable capcha extensions. If you want just pm and willing to help you. :)
Compilation of Android Roms, Recoverys, Apps, Games and Tricks
Visit my blog http://www.androidcribs.com

pawswatch

Post by pawswatch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks for everyone's advice and help !

CaptainHypertext

Post by CaptainHypertext » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:23 am

By far, the best captcha is Google's reCAPTCHA. I used to use the Q&A a lot, which worked great for a long time, but when it failed, I switched to this and it ended my spam problems completely.

I think integration comes bundled with phpBB 3.2, check the spam countermeasure options in the acp.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:10 am

I recommend Cleantalk. Most of my clients are quite satisfied it and false positives hardly ever have it. Costs $8 a year. You have to install and configure an extension. You can download Cleantalk from the Extensions database.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”