ISSUE: reCaptcha 1.0 is showing when reCaptcha 2.0 is configured

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CaptainNemo

ISSUE: reCaptcha 1.0 is showing when reCaptcha 2.0 is configured

Post by CaptainNemo »

Heya,

I received reports of people not being able to register on our forum (https://forum.bugfinders.com) and after further investigation, the registration page is showing the old form of reCaptcha:

http://pasteboard.co/Q19esHgk4.png

However in the acp I've got it configured for V2:

http://pasteboard.co/Q1a6HkIjY.png

I honestly have no idea what's gone wrong here and would like some help fixing this. It's causing a serious headache, as obviously the registrations are sending the answers for a V1 reCaptcha, but Google is expecting a different response.

Regards,
Nanashi Nemo
david63

Re: ISSUE: reCaptcha 1.0 is showing when reCaptcha 2.0 is configured

Post by david63 »

reCaptcha 1.0 was only available as an extension in phpBB 3.1 whereas reCaptcha 2.0 is part of the core of phpBB 3.2

My guess is that you had the reCaptcha extension installed on your phpBB 3.1 board and have not disabled it before enabling the core reCaptcha.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

I'm 90% certain (but can't guarantee) that we dd not have a reCaptcha extension, we were running without a Captcha for a while, but when we upgraded to 3.2 I configured the Captcha, however I did not test if worked, so I may have set it up incorrectly.

I'm currently trying to get reCaptcha to work, however everything I have tried so far is still bringing the wrong reCaptcha version up.

How should I proceed?
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

david63 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 am reCaptcha 1.0 was only available as an extension in phpBB 3.1 whereas reCaptcha 2.0 is part of the core of phpBB 3.2

My guess is that you had the reCaptcha extension installed on your phpBB 3.1 board and have not disabled it before enabling the core reCaptcha.
You mean reCaptcha 2.0 was only available as an extension in phpBB 3.1.

I used it but before upgrading to phpBB 3.2 I disabled the extension and deleted the data. reCaptcha 1.0 was part of the core of phpBB 3.1.

I have no issues with Google reCaptcha and phpBB 3.2 myself.
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

Unfortunately I'm still fighting with this issue. i tried switching to a different Captcha style and got a flurry of spam registrations and posts.

I feel happier with no one being able to register than spammers getting in, but I need to get reCaptcha 2.0 working. Can anyone help me with this?

Feel free to send me a private message.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Support here is via the forums.

So you're saying going to ACP> Spambot countermeasures> Available plugins> reCapthca> Configure and putting in the relevant information doesn't work for you?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Noviets

Post by Noviets »

Any news regarding this bug yet? I've had to have reCaptcha disabled on the registration :(
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

Hi Mick,

This is how it looks in the ACP (actual key obscured for obvious reasons): http://pasteboard.co/2AurC8sVQ.png

This matches the information that I'm getting from https://www.google.com/recaptcha

I can switch to other plugins, and those appear as intended (albeit they don't actually prevent spam accounts from getting in), however implementing the reCaptcha plugin is pulling up the incorrect version of reCaptcha on the registration page only. (Images in original post are still valid)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Did you previously have v1 installed as an extension?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo »

It might have been, however I can find no evidence of it anywhere in the ACP. Our forum has been rebuilt and restructured a couple of times since reCaptcha 2.0 was launched so there's a chance it's been lost in the æther.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I'm just wondering if there's a key that it's using from a previous installation of the extension and that's not being overridden by the one for the inbuilt captcha.

Might be worth getting hold of the extension, installing it and then deleting it again with the option to delete the data as well.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Noviets

Post by Noviets »

I had "StopForumSpam" extention which I have deleted data and removed the folder from the ftp. Re-setup the Captcha again, double checking API keys are 2.0.

Still the same issue, reCaptcha 1.0 is shown.

Could this be addressed please I am having to delete many russian spam posts hourly and I can no-longer keep up with the accounts created, so I have had to disable registration entirely untill this can be resolved.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can easily switch to Q&A in the meantime. That stops the spambots easily.
Noviets

Post by Noviets »

Will do that, thanks :)
justin_xyn

Post by justin_xyn »

I'm having this issue now too after a 3.1.8 > 3.2.2 upgrade. In 3.1.8 we were using reCaptcha v1 and after upgrading and creating/configuring new V2 keys for reCaptcha v2, it still displays on the actual registration page as the old V1 (which of course is now totally dead). In the preview though, it does show V2 like posted before.

I've tried purging the cache to no avail. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's pretty bad!

Thanks in advance!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”