Can you edit the forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Can you edit the forum

Post by KevC »

If the hosts won't give you the database (not usual on free hosts but check their support forum) then you would need to start from scratch.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

RMcGirr83 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:53 pm These are questions for prophpbb. No one on here can help you with what they may or may not give you. You would, at the least, require a dump of the database as well as a download of the files on the server.
So easier to just make a new one? Can you give me a recommendation for a hosting service that lets you change the code?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

https://www.prophpbb.com/faqs.hml
Can I Get A Back-Up Of My Forum's Database?

Most certainly. Premium members can download backups from their admin control panel at any time, and free forums can obtain a backup by paying a $3 fee.
πŸ†“ Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
πŸš€ Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity ΒΊ PhpStorm's proud user ΒΊ Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

3Di wrote: ↑Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm https://www.prophpbb.com/faqs.hml
Can I Get A Back-Up Of My Forum's Database?

Most certainly. Premium members can download backups from their admin control panel at any time, and free forums can obtain a backup by paying a $3 fee.
I am a premium member. After I get the backup how do I transfer that to the new host?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Get the backup of the database first, then you can worry about the other stuff.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Freehand wrote: ↑Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 pm After I get the backup how do I transfer that to the new host?
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
LP-1

Post by LP-1 »

This is odd to read. Because my host does daily backups for free and through cPanel I can back up the entire database anytime with just the click of a button. I've only used two hosts in 15 years. I don't even remember the first one but been with Hostdime for the last 14 years. Never saw a reason to change. My forum has been pic driven for nearly all its existence. I don't even know how big my image file is because I don't delete or prune anything but, it's got to be HUGE with thread posts and public galleries and private galleries. Now with video bandwidth and file size on top, the disc usage in a week is really stacking up. My biggest problem is bots trying to download or hot link everything I got. Sometimes my usage is through the roof but they never charge me for the excessive size. I get warning emails quite often at about 46 GB the first week into the month and 56.5 being the total disc size, but they never do anything other than fire warning shots, so I end up with about 220 gigs for the month. Just warning emails extended, extended, extended. From the sound of it most of y'all have much smaller sites. I assume you get free hosting but it seems like a hassle when paid hosting has so many advantages. Something worth looking into anyway. Maybe not with my host, but plenty of other [probably] good hosts. Plus the support is sometimes priceless. After a devastating hack, that dependable 24 hour site and database backup looks pretty good. I know what it's like to face a rebuild from scratch after a group of polak assassins put out a hit on you.
Anyway.. prolly off topic but I know I've always got a relatively recent back up copy and someone to install it 24/7. I sleep better.
"Men show their character in nothing more clearly than by what they think laughable.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

LP-1 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 am This is odd to read.
Free hosts like the one linked have a standard script where you just fill in your site name and username and it makes the board for you. They use complex blended databases to host all the sites in 'one place' with one set of core files. Therefore it is often not easy to obtain the database for your site because in some instances there isn't one database per site. As all the sites share the same core files they generally don't let you have access to edit anything at all.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
LP-1

Post by LP-1 »

KevC wrote: ↑Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 am
LP-1 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 am This is odd to read.
Free hosts like the one linked have a standard script where you just fill in your site name and username and it makes the board for you. They use complex blended databases to host all the sites in 'one place' with one set of core files. Therefore it is often not easy to obtain the database for your site because in some instances there isn't one database per site. As all the sites share the same core files they generally don't let you have access to edit anything at all.
Wow. That was very well explained. Thank you.

I hope this hasn't already been asked but, why would y'all do that? Wouldn't all SEO go into the pool and benefit only the "free" community provider? And then, how does the free community provider get paid? Actually [it comes to me that] I could probably google all those questions. Umm.. never mind. 😜
"Men show their character in nothing more clearly than by what they think laughable.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Not everyone is technically minded enough to know how to upload files or buy a domain name. They can go to sites like that, fill in 2 or 3 boxes and bingo, they have a forum, at no cost. The hosting company usually plasters the sites with ads so they get the revenue from that to give you the site for nothing. Can't comment on the SEO but if for instance you just had a local club site you wouldn't need it as you'd just tell people what the address was.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ross1996 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 am you can use CDB or the Extensions in Development of phpBB to add payment menthod.
Not in this instance because the OP was on a free host with no access to the files.

Return to β€œ[3.2.x] Support Forum”