Can you edit the forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Freehand

Can you edit the forum

Post by Freehand »

I want to add a payment button to my forum site. Is this possible with phpbb? There's guides on how to do it and I know that I would have to login into cpanel and use FTP and then edit the code. I don't know what my cpanel login is. How would I get that and is this aloud?
david63

Re: Can you edit the forum

Post by david63 »

It is your board and you are using open source software so you can do whatever you want with the code - however phpBB from 3.1 onwards makes life easy by using extensions so that you do not have to edit any code.

Search the CDB and/or the Extensions in Development to see if there is an extension that meets your needs and if not you can request one.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

Ok do you have any idea how I get my cpanel login information?
david63

Post by david63 »

Freehand wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:49 pm Ok do you have any idea how I get my cpanel login information?
Ask your host - cpanel is nothing to do with phpBB
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

david63 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:48 pm It is your board and you are using open source software so you can do whatever you want with the code - however phpBB from 3.1 onwards makes life easy by using extensions so that you do not have to edit any code.

Search the CDB and/or the Extensions in Development to see if there is an extension that meets your needs and if not you can request one.
phpbb isn't the host? I just made a free forum using this site so how do I know who the host is?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

What was the link you used to create your free forum?
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm What was the link you used to create your free forum?
The one on the homepage of www.phpbb.com
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

The one that says "Need Hosting"? If so what was the link you clicked on after getting to that page. I don't believe phpBB hosts any longer (forumatic) so a bit confused as to what you are talking about.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm The one that says "Need Hosting"? If so what was the link you clicked on after getting to that page. I don't believe phpBB hosts any longer (forumatic) so a bit confused as to what you are talking about.
My bad www.prophpbb.com
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm The one that says "Need Hosting"? If so what was the link you clicked on after getting to that page. I don't believe phpBB hosts any longer (forumatic) so a bit confused as to what you are talking about.
I thought it was the same site for a second. Prophpbb is where I made the forum
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

prophpbb has nothing to do with phpBB and the opposite is also true.
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:46 pm prophpbb has nothing to do with phpBB and the opposite is also true.
Can I still edit the code or do certain hosting sites not allow that? And I would have to talk to them to get my cpanel login?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

With those kinds of sites, usually you have no access to change anything at all.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Freehand

Post by Freehand »

KevC wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:49 pm With those kinds of sites, usually you have no access to change anything at all.
I like the site now, Is it possible to just change the hosting service to one that I can edit the code? Or would I have to completley remake the site with a new hosting service?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

These are questions for prophpbb. No one on here can help you with what they may or may not give you. You would, at the least, require a dump of the database as well as a download of the files on the server.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”