Soft 404 errors for deleted users, moved threads etc.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
richey

Soft 404 errors for deleted users, moved threads etc.

Post by richey »

Hello,

I know this has been brought up before, dating back up to 5 (!) years. Still, however, the software doesn't seem to provide a good solution to resolve soft 404 errors for search engines.

Google Webmaster tools finds "soft 404 errors" which it considers 'problematic':
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 1708?hl=en

When a page doesn't exist 'for the world out there' (particularly a bot), it should return a 404 error!
However, in phpBB, the software doesn't. If a user has been deleted or if a thread has been moved to a section of the board that hides it from the outside world, it returns a code 200 "ok" (!) and redirects the bot to another page, but doesn't display actual content which is interpreted as a structural problem of the whole website.

It think this should be fixed - VBulletin, which once also had this problem as my web search turned out - did that already. phpBB could actually redirect the user to some other page but should definitely return

Code: Select all

header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
to bots.

cheers,
r.
david63

Re: Soft 404 errors for deleted users, moved threads etc.

Post by david63 »

richey wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm It think this should be fixed
Then either create a bug report or a RFC on Area51
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”