Does phpBB offer Free Hosting?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Davekyn

Does phpBB offer Free Hosting?

Post by Davekyn »

Hi, I just downloaded the free software but then realized I might have to pay for hosting?

Is there any place that I may be able to host my forum free?

Figured it was worth asking before I start the long haul leaning how to use phpBB as opposed to Pro-boards where I can do it all for free.

TIA
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Does phpBB offer Free Hosting?

Post by stevemaury »

phpBB offers no hosting, free or otherwise. There are free hosts, but we do not recommend them.We highly recommend that you do not use a free host. Most of them have issues and limitations. However, if you must use a free host FreeHostingTalk can assist you in locating one.

You can get perfectly adequate hosting for $5/month, or less, and have control over your board you will not have with free hosts.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Twirley

Post by Twirley »

Steve is right. You should avoid free hosting. Free hosting is always very slow. Site visitors will probably leave your site before it's even downloaded. Hosting can be had for about $1 per week, but if phpbb is completely new to you I understand your reticence at having to pay for hosting whilst you are still learning the software.

If you need to practice on phpbb, or if you want to learn how to use it before you pay for hosting, you should try hosting it on your own computer by installing free server software. If you are running Windows, search Google for a 'WAMP server', but if you are running a Linux computer you should search for a 'LAMP server'.

There is free WAMP software, and free instruction books on how to set up a WAMP server, Setting Up A WAMP Server On Your Windows Desktop for example.

As the server will be on your own computer, nobody else will be able to access it, but you will be able to play with it for as long as you like and learn all about phpbb in your own environment. Once you are familiar with phpbb you would then be able to pay for hosting and create a phpbb site straight away.

The added bonus, once you have a WAMP server installed, is that you can then try out ANY free website software, and learn how it works.

You have also mentioned other boards. It is worth bearing in mind that phpbb is mobile friendly, but not every board is, and over 50% of web useres now access websites from a phone.
"This time next year I'll be a millionaire."
I've been saying that for almost 70 years ... living proof that mind over matter does not work! :)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Another option for installing server software on your local computer is Xampp. Google it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Even on a USB stick is possible.
http://www.usbwebserver.net/en/
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Jason76
I've Been Banned!

Post by Jason76 »

[removed] give you a phpBB forum with ads. But I'm not sure if they would if you've already set up a phpBB forum somewhere else.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”