Can't create avatars or upload attachments

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jimehman

Can't create avatars or upload attachments

Post by jimehman »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.0
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? hostgator
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? None at the moment
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I just installed the phpBB3.
Please describe your problem. I am having problem with the uploading of attachments and avatars. Whenever I try to upload either of these, I get the error message "Error - File too large". It doesn't matter how large a file I am trying to upload. I've tried going into the ACP and changing both the max dimensions and the max size of the file, and even changing those values to 0,0 which should turn off the file size requirements.

I have set the files directory to 777 as instructed.

I'm really confused by this. It is almost as if my server is not allowing the upload of these files. There is an .htaccess file inside the .files directory that reads:

<Files *>
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

Could that be causing the problem. Any recommendations that you can think of would be very appreciated.

Jim
Generated by SRT Generator
david63

Re: Can't create avatars or upload attachments

Post by david63 »

With all servers there is a maximum file size set in the php.ini file and it is possible that in your hosting account that this is set very low.

If you go to ACP > System > PHP information there is a line called upload_max_filesize - can you post the value of that.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
jimehman

Post by jimehman »

I checked that. It is set at 64Mb... This problem may well now be resolved. For whatever reason phpBB just decided to let it work all of a sudden. If I encounter this issue again, I will reopen the thread. Thank you for your help.
jimehman

Post by jimehman »

I spoke too soon. I just ran into issues trying to upload a landscape image that is 1800 pixels wide... attached are my settings

Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 1.14.15 PM.png
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

It must be a really narrow image. If it is 1800px wide, that does not leave much room for height in a 600K image.
jimehman

Post by jimehman »

It turns out that the image was larger than I expected. I changed the maximum size to 1mb and it fixed the issue. Thank you for all your help folks.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”