Reset Password Emails and Mass Emails Not Being Received by Users [SOLVED]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
aster59

Reset Password Emails and Mass Emails Not Being Received by Users [SOLVED]

Post by aster59 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.0
What is your board's URL? https://forum.thetechslugs.com
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.8
What extensions do you have installed? VigiLink
Ajax Shoutbox
External Links Open in New Window
reCAPTCHA 2.0
Share On
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to phpBB but not PHP
What username can be used to view this issue? masterfire63
What password can be used to view this issue? test1234
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I don't even know when this started. Users started complaining a few weeks ago about the below 2 issues. I have also been getting more recently though.
Please describe your problem. I am having an issue where my users can't receive their password reset emails.

What works
  • Sending activation/welcome emails via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
  • Resending Activation emails via the login screen via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
  • Sending reset password emails to people on my domain (domain of forum).
  • Sending mass emails to people on my domain (domain of forum) ex. administrators.
What doesn't work
  • Sending reset password emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
  • Sending mass emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
I have tried
Additional Info

The error log never shows anything when a user doesn't receive their password reset email or mass emails. The test email function works fine provided I enter my credentials SMTP username/password beforehand or if I use the built in mail function. Below attached are my current settings. Although, I am using an external SMTP provider, remember everything works with it as the other two methods. None of the three methods, however, are giving password resets or mass emails to work! Feel free to change the email on the account to test.
viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2403386#p14666181
Generated by SRT Generator

I guess the mass emails don't have to work since I can build my own mailing list using the SQL data and users can opt out elsewhere. The password resets need to work though.....

Thanks again.

(smtp username is blacked out, but present and correct)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 17.37.42.png
Last edited by aster59 on Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

aster59

Re: Reset Password Emails and Mass Emails Not Being Received by Users

Post by aster59 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Still no one knows what this is (this was around 3 days prior to above post date and accidentally deleted)?

Ok, any ideas where else can I seek help with something like this?
Perhaps the admins/support/developers here of phpBB that accept PMs and would be willing to help me with this?

aster59

Post by aster59 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Bump #2 (last one)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Probably the reason you are not getting answers is that this is not a phpBB issue. phpBB has no email sending ability - it merely uses whatever SMTP or php sendmail service that is available. If some mail works, then obviously the phpBB settings are correct. I would ask your host or SendGrid for support.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

aster59

Post by aster59 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:24 am

stevemaury wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 pm
Probably the reason you are not getting answers is that this is not a phpBB issue. phpBB has no email sending ability - it merely uses whatever SMTP or php sendmail service that is available. If some mail works, then obviously the phpBB settings are correct. I would ask your host or SendGrid for support.
I kind of knew that it isn't directly phpBB. I just thought maybe it was a configuration issue on my server someone might have had before here. Surely I am not the first since I am using Bluehost, probably phpBB's favorite.
The support guys so far can't tell me anything related to this. I guess I will just keep trying.

Thanks for the reply.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am

What doesn't work

Sending reset password emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
Sending mass emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
If by this you mean it appears email is going into a blackhole to anyone other than people with local email accounts the first thing to do is reverse DNS check for your domain -or- whatever domain is in the header. If that is incorrect you need to contact your host, it's not something you can fix yourself even with a dedicated machine.

Have you checked the domain and IP against blocklists?

Try registering an account on your forum with the email provided here, they'll give you all kinds of information....

https://www.mail-tester.com/

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

aster59

Post by aster59 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am
What doesn't work

Sending reset password emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
Sending mass emails to anyone with an email off my domain (ex. @gmail, @aol) via Bluehost SMTP, built in mail function, or SendGrid SMTP service I pay for.
If by this you mean it appears email is going into a blackhole to anyone other than people with local email accounts the first thing to do is reverse DNS check for your domain -or- whatever domain is in the header. If that is incorrect you need to contact your host, it's not something you can fix yourself even with a dedicated machine.

Have you checked the domain and IP against blocklists?

Try registering an account on your forum with the email provided here, they'll give you all kinds of information....

https://www.mail-tester.com/
I just checked the score and it gets anywhere from a 6.9 to a 9.4 depending on the blacklists that show up. It varies I think because of the Sendgrid IPs changing.

This was with a welcome email though. I still can't check the password ones though because of the "black hole" so I will have to look at the first thing you said. Can that info be found there?

Here is the link if you want to look:
https://www.mail-tester.com/web-bd537

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Just Google reverse DNS check, there is all kinds of tools for this.

As far as the Blocklists go you are going to want to remedy that situation, if you are on shared hosting it may be difficult to get them removed and stay off them. You might be on a machine hosting hundreds or even thousands of domains on the same IP. You only need one of them to get the IP flagged.

If those IP's belong to the mail host.... using a service like that has it's hazards if they are not keeping on top of spammers.

aster59

Post by aster59 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm
Just Google reverse DNS check, there is all kinds of tools for this.

As far as the Blocklists go you are going to want to remedy that situation, if you are on shared hosting it may be difficult to get them removed and stay off them. You might be on a machine hosting hundreds or even thousands of domains on the same IP. You only need one of them to get the IP flagged.
I did a lookup for both the IP on the email (SendGrid servers) and my Bluehost server and both have a reverse DNS.

Do you mean even when I am sending via SendGrid I have to worry about the reputation of my server IP too? It is a VPS.
thecoalman wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm
If those IP's belong to the mail host.... using a service like that has it's hazards if they are not keeping on top of spammers.
I would hope SendGrid isn't blacklisted for the fact I am paying for the email delivery.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Did you check if you have some kind of sending restrictions like Sender Policy Framework?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Mon May 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Do you mean even when I am sending via SendGrid I have to worry about the reputation of my server IP too? It is a VPS.
Based on the link report, yes. It's their IP being flagged. When you are using shared service whether it's email or hosting this inevitably is going to happen.

The other thing to look at is the SPF record error. You are better off having no SPF records that one that is wrong.

aster59

Post by aster59 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:02 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:50 pm
Based on the link report, yes. It's their IP being flagged. When you are using shared service whether it's email or hosting this inevitably is going to happen.

The other thing to look at is the SPF record error. You are better off having no SPF records that one that is wrong.
I just changed the SMTP settings to my mail.domain.com (from Bluehost) and now it says I am not blacklisted anywhere (as the lookup said) and my SPF records are sufficient still.

Now it says: Your DKIM signature is not valid -3
https://www.mail-tester.com/web-bd537
I will try and fix that and see if it helps since it still doesn't work with this configuration.

aster59

Post by aster59 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm
Did you check if you have some kind of sending restrictions like Sender Policy Framework?
I made sure that emails can come from my server IP with bluehost and with sendgrid.net. I don't have ptr in it. Earlier I had it set to ?all.

aster59

Post by aster59 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Well, I figured it out and certainly feel like an idiot.

I had in function_user.php:

Code: Select all

'user_notify'			=> 1,
		'user_notify_pm'		=> 1,
		'user_notify_type'		=> NOTIFY_IM,
		'user_allow_pm'			=> 1,
		'user_allow_viewonline'	=> 1,
NOTIFY_IM needed to be NOTIFY_BOTH...

I had no idea it affected this. I guess admin accounts had 2 set and not regular users which had 1. Also ran a SQL query here to update current users...
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... nd-values/

At least this pushed me to learn about sending emails the right way and getting my mail score up.

Thank you all for your help.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”