Renovation Began Last Jan. - Converting to 3.2 from 3.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
White Phoenix
Name: Rod Lockwood

Renovation Began Last Jan. - Converting to 3.2 from 3.0

Post by White Phoenix »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.2
What is your board's URL? http://www.pokemondungeon.com/forums
Who do you host your board with? Evohosting
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? none
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? This is a fresh install. The database is MySQL, but I don’t know which version (probably 5). I am comfortable with phpBB, but not PHP. First the problem: We uploaded the old forums to the new host. Then the webmaster found out the forums (3.0) needed to be upgraded. He wanted to upgrade the forums before integrating the forums into Joomla. I tried upgrading without removing the modifications from the database, so the upgrade failed. I am administrator only with no access to the host and limited knowledge of Joomla. I have searched for access to the database on Joomla and there is none. I was advised the best method is to do a fresh install of 3.2 and then import the old forum to the new forum. That is the point I am at now.
Please describe your problem. I have the old forums file structure backed up and ready to upload. I have the databases that I sent the webmaster, who had contractors install them. He does not know which database files were used, but he said it was fixed by the contractors before installing. As far as I know the only damage was to some posts that were parially deleted. I may have a database that was before that accident. I did backup the database before attempting the install, but have no access to it (that I know of) until I can access it through the ACP.

However, I have found a file on my computer that may be the downloaded backup since the modification date is the same as when I attempted the install and the file name begins with “backup_”. Of the three files that I sent the webmaster, one is another that begins with “backup_”. All of the older files are approximately the same time in the same year. They are:
backup_1326130928_56ecd7531f37c39b.sql.gz
whitephoenix-ghpfdata-2-13-2012.dmp.GZ
whitephoenix-ghpfdata-2-21-2012_tables phpbb3_posts.dmp.GZ
The backup from April 2017 is backup_1493300858_b528a2b539d679ee.sql.gz

No matter which of these is used there will be some mods installed. I do not remember using any extentions. Previous styles were Prosilver, Subsilver2 and custom Ghost.

Current status of the install is:
Available convertors
BOARD SOFTWARE phpBB 2.0.x
VERSION 1.0.3
AUTHOR phpBB Limited
OPTIONS Convert

I now need instructions on how to procede.
Generated by SRT Generator
thejollyroger

Re: Renovation Began Last Jan. - Converting to 3.2 from 3.0

Post by thejollyroger »

Hmm I am in a similar predicament
I will be interested to see the answer to this
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The OP's board seems to be running 3.2 so I'm not certain whether his issue is sorted out or not but anyway, no two installations are the same so please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back in a new support topic to enable us to assist you better.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

No, nothing has been sorted out. I hadn’t received an answer, therefore I was still in need of a reply. I realize that my post might be tl;dr, but I wanted to make sure I put in all the pertinent details since most of the time I am criticized for leaving out information. It has been a week and a half since I made that post. I can give additional information upon request, if it is needed.

Usually, you only reply if you found an answer somewhere else and need no further assistance. Am I supposed to check in every few days to report I still have a problem? What is the protocol here?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Do you or don't you have a known good database backup? If you do, this is waaay simpler than what you are doing. If you don't, it can't be done.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

From the last answer, I can only conclude that there is either no one with any SQL experience or no one with SQL experience who is willing to assist me. Cryptic answers based on the incorrect assumption that I know what I am doing are not helpful.

Therefore, what is being implied is that this is a SQL problem, and because of that I am being ignored.

Very well, I shall go elsewhere. Have a nice day.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You are not being ignored. We are just trying to understand what your question is.
If all you are trying to do is upgrade your board, all you need to do is restore your database from your database backups and then upgrade it properly after removing all your mods and such.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Ger wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 am ...If that's the case, you should only need to focus on bringing your board back online. That best approach is working towards a clean 3.2 installation. I suggest you follow the srt and post the results in the 3.2 support forums. The community will help you through the process.
Well, that advice doesn’t seem to have turned out to be entirely accurate.
Brf wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am You are not being ignored. We are just trying to understand what your question is.
So you weren’t ignoring me, you just weren’t asking me for clarification or more information and waiting for me to give it to you. What information did you need?
If all you are trying to do is upgrade your board,
Did I forget to put that in the report? I’m sorry, I must have forgotten to put that in.
all you need to do is restore your database from your database backups
All of them?
and then upgrade it properly after removing all your mods and such.
There. That I needed to know after figuring out the database question. Thank you.
Ger

Post by Ger »

White Phoenix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm Well, that advice doesn’t seem to have turned out to be entirely accurate.
Well, there aren't any magicians here. Just regular people helping other people. We do that by providing each other with the needed information to the best of our capabilities. That goes 2 ways: providing information about the problem as well as about the possible solution.

Now, if I understand you correctly, you have a database from a working phpBB 3.0.x board. PLEASE CONFIRM

If so, you can take this path to get to a working phpBB 3.2.0 board:
  1. Install WAMP like described in this blog post. You only need to follow the steps in the first 3 paragraphs.
  2. Copy your existing file structure like you described in the topic start above to C:\wamp\www\phpbb
  3. Now import the database with phpMyAdmin. That's provided with WAMP, point your browser to http://localhost/phpmyadmin

Now it might be that your board seems broken. Don't worry: this might be the result of some mismatching information due to mods, styles, etc. Just keep on going ;)
  4. Delete everything from C:\wamp\www\phpbb EXCEPT the following:
    • config.php file
    • files dir
    • images dir
    • store dir
    These folders and file hold specific information from your board
  5. Download and unzip the latest phpBB 3.2.0 release
  6. Copy everything from this 3.2.0 files to C:\wamp\www\phpbb, EXCEPT the exceptions list as stated in step 4
  7. Point your browser to http://localhost/phpbb/install and follow the instructions on screen. It should migrate your database to a 3.2.0 state.
This *should* do the trick.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

White Phoenix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm
all you need to do is restore your database from your database backups
All of them?
No only the one you want to upgrade to 3.2.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Ger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm [*]Install WAMP like described in this blog post.
Why would we want WAMP? That is for running a board from your local computer. White Pheonix has stated he has hosting.
White Phoenix wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:56 pm We uploaded the old forums to the new host.
White Phoenix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm All of them?
The database you were using would be described in the old config.php in the top folder of your old board.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Brf wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:23 pm
Ger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm [*]Install WAMP like described in this blog post.
Why would we want WAMP? That is for running a board from your local computer. White Pheonix has stated he has hosting.
White Phoenix wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:56 pm We uploaded the old forums to the new host.
Because of this:
White Phoenix wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:56 pm I am administrator only with no access to the host and limited knowledge of Joomla. I have searched for access to the database on Joomla and there is none.
But I must admit, the information provided by TS is somewhat inconsistent.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I am administrator only with no access to the host
If this is true, then you cannot do anything. If there is a database backup, and someone has access to the host files and database, that person can upgrade. If not, you can't do anything.

So you need to clarify these points.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Ger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm Now, if I understand you correctly, you have a database from a working phpBB 3.0.x board. PLEASE CONFIRM

If so, you can take this path to get to a working phpBB 3.2.0 board:
Yes, I have several listed. I just don’t know which one is the good one. Installing WAMP in order to check which database my old board that I saved to my computer was using is good. Since the site no longer exists on my old host, I have no way to check it online there. I backed up the forums I screwed up, so I can check both, just in case. If nothing else I have lots of backups. Unfortunately, I don’t alway document them well. And the file names that were given the SQL files are not helpful in identification as far as date is concerned.
Ger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pmWhite Phoenix wrote: ↑2017.05.26, 01:56 pm
I am administrator only with no access to the host and limited knowledge of Joomla. I have searched for access to the database on Joomla and there is none.
But I must admit, the information provided by TS is somewhat inconsistent.
I am not sure what TS means, but the only thing I found that affects the database on Joomla is not very helpful. The options are limited to Check-in, Clear Cache, and Clear Expired Cache. Not like on my old host where I had complete access to the MySQL database directly. If nothing else I could check for the MySQL version.

Speaking of which, the webmaster did provide me with the information about the type and version of the database we are using now.

Code: Select all

We also have Phpmyadmin installed

Databsae server

Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    Server type: MySQL
    Server version: 5.6.35 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
    Protocol version: 10
    User: classicm@localhost
    Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Webserver
    cpsrvd 11.64.0.24
    Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73
    PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
    PHP version: 5.6.30 

let me know if you need anything else. I should have been doing some decent work this morning on the site but as usual my day is overshadowed by disaster and (costly) problems 
stevemaury wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:58 pm So you need to clarify these points.
From the above, you can see that you are obviously wrong. In order for me to know what points to clarify, you need to ask the right questions properly, so I understand what you need. Like Ger did.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

White Phoenix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 pm the only thing I found that affects the database on Joomla is not very helpful.
You would not be accessing the database itself from within phpBB or Joomla. You would be accessing it from phpmyadmin, or whatever other database admin program you have.That is also the best place to be making database backups too.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”