disable revealing users email addresses

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
craig.constantine

disable revealing users email addresses

Post by craig.constantine » Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 am

There's a setting in ACP, under Client Comm > Email settings
labeled "Hide email addresses: This function keeps email addresses completely private."
but when I set this to "Yes" (and save of course), registered users can still go to other users' profiles and 'send email' via the link. (It opens their email cient with the registered user's email.)

Can I flip this so that, by default, new users have the "reveal my email" (or something) preference set to no?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: disable revealing users email addresses

Post by david63 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:13 am

craig.constantine wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 am
registered users can still go to other users' profiles and 'send email' via the link. (It opens their email cient with the registered user's email.)
Never seen that happen - when I go to a user's profile and click on "send email" then it opens a form within phpBB that sends an email "via" phpBB - unless I use Admin options then there is no way in a standard phpBB installation that you can see a user's email address.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

craig.constantine

Post by craig.constantine » Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 pm

very odd... i'd swear it was always revealed emails... i made even made a generic user to test it as. I will try it again, and report back.

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady » Sun May 28, 2017 2:52 pm

have a look at ACP - GENERAL - CLIENT COMMUNICATION - EMAIL SETTINGS
Users send email via board:
Instead of showing the users email address users are able to send emails via the board.
Here you can switch between activated/deactivated to show users mail addresses
Webseite, Blog, Wiki
JV-Arcade / phpBB-Arcade / dmzx-Extensions Übersetzungsteam, andere deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files

craig.constantine

Post by craig.constantine » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 pm

thanks...

I must have been doing something wrong... it all seems to be fine now. "contact by email" is there, but it only opens a form which sends an email via the board.

I must have been asleep and under-caffeinated... :(

TearAByte

Post by TearAByte » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:23 pm

When I use this function, the board-member's email address that sent the message is shown in the headers and when the person replies to the email - this is not good!
Is there a setting to prevent this?

mcramer

Post by mcramer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 am

I noticed this same problem.

On Client Communications --> Email Settings I had the box "Hide email addresses" checked. It says, "This function keeps email addresses completely private." Not true, however, because when I log into my phpBB, navigate to a members and hover over the "Send email to {name}" link, the email address was right there.

Following the advice above, I then enabled "Users send email via board." Now when I hover over the "Send email to {name}" link I get a URL on my board. Clicking that link opens up a form on the board and the user's email is not revealed.

I have not yet tried actually sending a message this way, however. Someone else said that doing so will reveal the email address of the sender, but I'm thinking that was their choice. Replying to that email might reveal the recipient's email, but that's also his or her choice. I have less of a problem with that.

That being said, it seems to me that the "Hide email addresses" option is either misleading or not working as intended.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:58 am

no, as you discovered , it works exactly as you want. you choose to send email via the board and nobody sees any email addresses other than the board one.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

mcramer

Post by mcramer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 am

The "Hide email addresses" option says, "This function keeps email addresses completely private." It does not.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 am

yes it does as far as the board is concerned. the board sends out the email. you can not see the email address in the form.
the person that gets the email will see that it came from the board and may be able to see the email of the sender . I don' 't remember for sure about that.

however, if it does it will be a function of the receiver's email program not the phpbb board .

phpbb has no control over this once it leaves the server it is installed on.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am

If there's no senders email address in the received email how do you reply to it?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”