Avatars not displayed & Corrupt Attachments

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
the Jabberwock

Avatars not displayed & Corrupt Attachments

Post by the Jabberwock » Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 am

We recently upgraded from an old version of phpBB to version 3.2.0. I did not perform the upgrade/import myself but I am looking to find guidance on solving some problems we are having.

Two issues which may (or may not) be related:

1) No avatars are being displayed on the forum. I have checked the settings in the ACP and made sure Avatar use is enabled. I even attempted to upload a new avatar myself and it gave me a message that my Control Panel had been updated, but nothing actually happened and the avatar was not there.

2) All of our attachments on the forum are corrupt and cannot be viewed. I can go back to the old forum database and copy and reinstall each attachment one by one, but this is a very long and tedious process. I would like to know if there is possibly a global solution to fix this.

I apologize if I didn't provide enough information, but I will respond again with any requested information needed. I am not a techie, but I have trained myself how to admin and moderate a phpBB forum. So please use layman's terms as much as possible.

Thank you in advance kindly for any help!

.m.

Re: Avatars not displayed & Corrupt Attachments

Post by .m. » Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am

what happens when you attempt to view a avatar file / a attachment file directly
(with a image viewer or web browser)

what is your board url ? have you recently installed a language pack / extension(s) ?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm

My guess on the attachments is that you transferred them with Filezilla using its default settings. With those settings, files without extensions (which is all attachment files) are transferred a ASCII, which corrupts them. See https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... filezilla/

In Filezilla, you need to go to Settings, Transfers, File type, and uncheck the box that says "Treat files without extension as ASCII files". Then, if you have a copy of the file attachments that has not been transferred (like the place where you transferred them from), redo the transfer. As the upgrade instructions tell you NOT to delete the Files folder from the server, that set of files should be uncorrupted.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

the Jabberwock

Post by the Jabberwock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:15 pm

.m. wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am
what happens when you attempt to view a avatar file / a attachment file directly
(with a image viewer or web browser)

what is your board url ? have you recently installed a language pack / extension(s) ?
stevemaury wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm
My guess on the attachments is that you transferred them with Filezilla using its default settings. With those settings, files without extensions (which is all attachment files) are transferred a ASCII, which corrupts them. See https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... filezilla/

In Filezilla, you need to go to Settings, Transfers, File type, and uncheck the box that says "Treat files without extension as ASCII files". Then, if you have a copy of the file attachments that has not been transferred (like the place where you transferred them from), redo the transfer. As the upgrade instructions tell you NOT to delete the Files folder from the server, that set of files should be uncorrupted.
Gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay and many thanks for your help! Here is an update:

We used your fix above and it did indeed fix our corrupted attachments problem! So we are all good there. Thanks!

In regards to the Avatars not displaying, that problem is still outstanding.

Here is an interesting fact: an Avatar can be uploaded via the user's profile. Once uploaded, the Avatar will display via the 3rd party App Tapatalk correctly, but it will still NOT display via the phpBB forum board on a web browser.

We uninstalled the old language pack and reinstalled a new one, which fixed various other issues, but it has not fixed the Avatar problem.

The board URL is: http://forum.councilofelrond.org/

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Disable TapaTalk and recheck. TapaTalk introduces LOTS of problems.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

the Jabberwock

Post by the Jabberwock » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm
Disable TapaTalk and recheck. TapaTalk introduces LOTS of problems.
Thank you for your help. We just tried this and it did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions?
There must be a way to fix this odd anomaly.

My admin partner also created a thread which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2427771

Perhaps his thread will provide better information.

Thanks again for your time!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”