Update a data base using Command Line

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Guguss

Update a data base using Command Line

Post by Guguss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Hello,

I'd like to update my board from phpbb 3.1.9 to 3.2.x but I can't do it using my web browser (via /install/app.php/update). My server is a shared server hosted by OVH and my database too large (more than 300 Mo) : the process abort due to a timeout exception.

So, I have to update the database via a command line (step 12 of upgrade guide). I tried but without result.

I also red this posts viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2402561 and I tried to follow this method.

I obtain the following message, with config.yml at the root or in install directory.
[ERROR] unable to access file config.yml
So please, could someone help me to understand the problem and to achieve my upgrade ?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Update a data base using Command Line

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 am

What you're trying to achieve is an upgrade and not an update, you should be following the Upgrade guide - Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Ok, perhaps a glitch then.

On the "Overview" tab I can select all 3-choices" Introduction, Support & License.

On the "Update" tab the only choice available is "Introduction", it won't let me select any of the choices there: Check requirements,
Set installation data, Update files, Update database

The only button I can click is the "Update" button at the bottom of the "Introduction" tab/page. My cursor just turns into the text "I" bar on the other choices.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Guguss wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm
Hello,

I'd like to update my board from phpbb 3.1.9 to 3.2.x but I can't do it using my web browser (via /install/app.php/update). My server is a shared server hosted by OVH and my database too large (more than 300 Mo) : the process abort due to a timeout exception.
If your host can't handle an upgrade of a phpBB database of 300 MB, then it's time to think about a different host. 300 MB is not exceptional at all.
You could try reducing the size of your database by emptying (truncating) the 2 search_tables. That should reduce the size to about 150MB, and optimising might shave off another 10 MB.

You could also split the upgrade into 3.1.9 to 3.1.12, and then 3.1.12 to 3.2.4 (It will take a bit more time in total, but each separate step will be shorter than the upgrade in 1 movement.

Whatever you do, before you try to upgrade, make sure you have a backup of your database.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:01 pm

This is a typical case where the topic's auto-lock feature (if existed) would have worked. Necroposting FTW Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 pm

3Di wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:01 pm
This is a typical case where the topic's auto-lock feature (if existed) would have worked. Necroposting FTW Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm :)
Oops, didn't even realise that. :oops: Nor that Curmudgeon isn't even the topic starter.
I may have to change my mind about an autolock feature :shock:
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”