How to make it so read threads go to the latest post upon visiting?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to make it so read threads go to the latest post upon visiting?

Post by KevC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm

That just links back to this topic.

As I said before, the topic title takes you to the first post and the big icon on the forum view page takes you to the last unread post. Not sure what's tricky about that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

polvorov

Post by polvorov » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 am

I'd like that clicking on a thread title brought me to the latest unread post of said thread.
Is there's a way to configure the forum like that without hacking the php code by hand?

Are the left icon supposed to work that way?
If so, It does not work for me with desktop Firefox and ipad2's Safari
(I'll try more desktop and mobile browsers..)

As a said "latest unread post of a thread" does not work on my end but I would suggest the thread title worked the same way the icon to the left of it. The thread name is already a link. It’s easier to aim for than an icon.. If you click a thread, ninety-nine times of a hundred it’s because you want to read the first unread post. The thread also shows the number of pages it has (if more than one), and provides direct links to the first few and the last one (usually).

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am

You would need to request an extension for that.

If clicking the topic title takes you to the last post, it makes it more complicated to get to the first post if you need to.
polvorov wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 am
It may be style dependent but on prosilver the icon to the left goes to the first unread post. Firefox and ipad both do that for me.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

polvorov

Post by polvorov » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am
You would need to request an extension for that.

If clicking the topic title takes you to the last post, it makes it more complicated to get to the first post if you need to.
I'll do.

Well.. titles on the list of topics, recent topics, etc could take you to the last unread post
and clicking the title within a thread would take you to the first post. Outside links to the last unread post, inside links to the first post.
KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am
polvorov wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 am
It may be style dependent but on prosilver the icon to the left goes to the first unread post. Firefox and ipad both do that for me.
Thanks for the info. I'll tell the admins. Do you know a possible solution?
Perhaps this is an issue of that template in particular.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am

polvorov wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am
and clicking the title within a thread would take you to the first post. Outside links to the last unread post, inside links to the first post.
That's an extra unnecessary click though. You can do both from the forum index already.
polvorov wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am
Perhaps this is an issue of that template in particular.
I don't know a solution, you'll need an extension to change the style behaviour if it's been changed.
Which style is it?
Cheap UK Hosting

polvorov

Post by polvorov » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 pm

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am
I don't know a solution, you'll need an extension to change the style behaviour if it's been changed.
Which style is it?
The style is prosilver with this just the Recent Topics extension installed:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _topics_2/

The point is that this feature does NOT work for me, strange.. but let me explain arguments about icons versus titles.
I think Icons are usable for small screens, phones, tablets, etc and Titles are better for the desktop.

- Arguments in favour of Icons?
I've been browsing a phpbb forum with my ipad2, my left thumb is already "there" on the left, it's more comfortable to use my thumb than having to lift my right hand. I've tried to open a title with my left thumb and failed! it may even worse on smaller devices.. it's good that icons are far away from other links.
Title vary in length whilst all the icons are aligned the same on the left so you just have to place your left thumb over them.. It's easier to click a mistaken link when you place your finger on any title.

- Arguments in favour of Titles?
It’s standard (read: expected) forum behaviour.
The icon is never going to be as wide as the thread’s title, so the title wins.
Aiming with a finger/stylus on a touch screen is not the same as with a mouse/trackpad on a personal computer.
When I Command-click a number of links to open them in new tabs for reading later, I essentially only have to move in the vertical axis. This gives me a huge advantage over hunting for an icon, which is limited in the horizontal direction. For all intents and purposes, the title’s horizontal dimension is infinite, unlike the icon’s. In addition, images might not always load (or might be disabled for various purposes).
Titles might vary in length, but in 99 percent cases, they are going to be wider than the icon. The pointer is more likely to be in the center of the screen, thus the average distance from it to at least some portion of the title will always be shorter than to the icon.

Finally, what is the purpose of opening the first post of a thread? How often do you specifically need to do that? (There’s already a link to that page—the first page number of a multi-page thread will take you there.) But why? If it’s a thread you haven’t visited before, the latest unread message will be the first message by definition.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”