upload status bar--attachments

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DWFII
Name: D.W.

upload status bar--attachments

Post by DWFII »

I did a search...no joy...but I'm not sure what to search for (keywords).

It seems to me that in the past when a file was "attached" from a local hard drive, a status bar would display which showed the progress of the upload. I don't see that anymore. I attached two photos to a post on my forum (both around 40mb) and gave up on the process three times because the option to place inline was never offered and no status bar to tell me the files were uploading. Eventually I twigged to the problem....

I'm no savant but most of my users even less so and I think this would be very frustrating to them.

Second issue: Is there a setting....in the ACP, perhaps...where the size of an attachment can be limited?
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: upload status bar--attachments

Post by Brf »

If by "the past" you mean phpBB 3.0, then phpBB did no uploading at all. The uploading was done directly by HTTP. By the time phpBB got the _post, the file would have already been uploaded.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Brf wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:42 pm If by "the past" you mean phpBB 3.0, then phpBB did no uploading at all. The uploading was done directly by HTTP. By the time phpBB got the _post, the file would have already been uploaded.
So I'm guessing there is no status bar for attachment uploads?

Any sign of an extension that might fill this need?
DWFII
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Thank you...I remember seeing that.

The search I was trying was something close to "attachment upload status." Nothing.
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I know this is for 3.1 but it may help:
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2368556
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

DWFII wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:02 pmAny sign of an extension that might fill this need?
The extensions forums would be the place to ask not support, maybe even post an extension request? Please see 3.2 ReadMe Before Posting to make sure you are in the correct area for the request you have.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

After some experimentation, here is what is happening:

In Firefox (latest version x 64) uploads never (or very seldom and inconsistently) reach the point where the button to "place inline" appears. Even when the files has finished uploading. No status or progress bar is shown.

In Chrome the "place inline button appears" fine but no status or progress bar is shown.

In IE. the progress bar is shown in the status "column" as well as a thin line at the bottom edge of the "Attachments" tab. IE. seems to have some problem with "validating" files (might have been a single instance) exp. coming from the cloud (google Drive).

The plupload.css stylesheet was linked into this forum after reading the topic suggested above.

I hate IE. I would prefer to use FF. But the real question is why doesn't doesn't the status bar (and upload) work across browsers?
No one can predict or control which browser the user will choose.
DWFII
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

When the file is done uploading, its name will appear as an attachment to the post.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

stevemaury wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:22 pm When the file is done uploading, its name will appear as an attachment to the post.
Not the way it's working here.
screenshot_2.png
(in FF)

The first file I attached was small--it uploaded immediately and was available to place in line.

The second file was several mb and the DSL modem said it was done uploading but as you can see no progress bar and not ready for placing inline....after closing on 7 or 8 minutes.

A preview will not show anything if the files are not, or cannot be, placed inline.

Again Chrome will upload and make the files (of any size) available. But if they are not placed inline they are not attached to the post.
DWFII
Galandas
Name: Rey

Post by Galandas »

English is not my native language My CDB Contributions My RC extensions
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Well, thank you for responding.

That said, your Real Progress Bar appears to be a mod and not an extension--won't work on phpBB 3.2.

What's more I see from the links you provide that it has long since been marked as "abandoned."
DWFII
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

I finally got the built in progress bars to work.

After the plupload.css stylesheet was linked into this forum, the cache needed to be purged and the I needed to do a shift+reload. (thanks, Mark)

Now the progress bar works...both under the "Status" column in attachments and another at the bottom edge of the attachment tab itself.

FF and IE (v. 11) still don't like to upload photos from the cloud (Google Drive) esp. photos above some arbitrary size around 5ookb and approximately 2mb--the status bar works but when done uploading, a message window appears that says something to the effect that the file cannot be attached.

But it all works fine on Chrome. And even in FF, if the file comes from my own local HD it works.
DWFII

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”