I disabled Viglink and it broke my board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
xymox

I disabled Viglink and it broke my board

Post by xymox » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am

I disabled viglink and now all I get is a white screen :(

Im still logged into the acp and that seems to still work. I tried reenabling it. No luck. Toast.

WTF...

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Re: I disabled Viglink and it broke my board

Post by rxu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:50 am

That most likely has nothing to do with the Vuglink extension but with some changes you have made to the code, which were applied after the extension disabling as long as the cache was purged automatically.
As for the blank page, the error details should be in webserver's error log file (like error.log).

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:12 am

How did you disable it?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

xymox

Post by xymox » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 am

I have no mods, no extensions, some styles...

I went to extensions and disabled the viglink.. The board immd crashed. Reenabling it made no difference.

The error that came up immd on disable was fairly weird.

[09-Jul-2017 05:33:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4194312 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/Forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3171

This error is constant.

Since I was still in adm I did a backup of the database.

I have since copied over most files from a fresh copy and no luck, same error.

Im now installing fresh with a clean database and restoring from a backup.

I have another exact same forum different content on the same server. It works fine. Only the one that I removed viglink went face first.

Im on php 7.1 and mysqli

xymox

Post by xymox » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:36 am

GREAT... and a fresh install into a new db with a restore produces exactly the same error...

OK then. I loose a weeks worth of forum postings and I go back to a previous backup... Let me go try that..

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 am

xymox wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 am
PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted
The error is actually clearly states not enough memory for PHP (I guess it's set to 32M). You can try setting greater value (more than 36M as it lacks 4M as a minimum).

xymox

Post by xymox » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 am

I know what it said.. It made NO sense.

So again, I was running the exact same thing, same board and settings in a different folder on the same domain on the same server and it was fine.

There was something in the backup. Maybe some horrid corrupt something in the database that occurred because of the viglink disabling..

Im just now back up.. I lost a few days. I had to go back to a backup from a few days ago.

So.. Here is what i did to isolate..

Wiped directory. Fresh install of 3.2 on PHP 7.1 mysqli on a in motion hosting VPS 2000. Test, works, copy over styles. Test . Works.. Restore - FAIL. Error above..

Wipe directory. Fresh install. Test works.Copy over styles.Test happy. Restore from backup from 3 days ago. Works perfect...

Going to extensions and disabling viglink somehow seems to have done settings or corrupted something so bad it crashed the board and corrupted the backup.

That was not fun.

DWFII
Name: D.W.

Post by DWFII » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 pm

For what it is worth...viglink is disabled on my board. Everything works fine.

That said, when I disabled another extension recently I got the same white screen. Hard to purge the cache when you can't get into the ACP.

I manually cleared the cache by going to through ftp to remove all the files in the forums cache folder.

Worked a treat.

Now I purge the cache everytime I change anything in the ACP before I close the ACP or the board. Every time...I don't know if you can purge the cache too many times but so far not a problem.
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:54 pm

DWFII wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 pm
I don't know if you can purge the cache too many times but so far not a problem
Purge away, shouldn't cause any issues.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

xymox

Post by xymox » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Do you think purging would have created that memory error ? And how come when I did a fresh install and restored from backup it did exactly the same error ? Also while the board was offline I was still able to use the ACP without error..

That was traumatic. Im out of town working on a job site and that issue caused me to not get sleep overnight fixing it. Me cursing the whole way each time something did not work.

Something nasty happened. Im not sure what..

System details.

The board in questio,Its very low volume http://www.lhcportal.com/Forum/index.php The only real differences from stock are too many smilies and a different theme ( 3.2 )

Its hosted on InMotionHosting on a VPS 20000

It was up for a week after a recent host change and upgrade from 3.0.14 / php4.4.8 to 3.2 / PHP 7.1 No issues at all.

Its on bb 3.2 / PHP 7.1 / mySQLi / memcache

So the things I pondered..

Maybe memcache corrupted some MySQLi value ? Once saved in the database it caused a out of control memory issue ? This somehow was triggered when I turned off the extension ?

There is only one other thing that might have caused a issue. I had subsilver disabled. Maybe it tried to update or use subsilver and it did not expect subsilver to be disabled and crash..

This all did have a silver lining. I learned all about in motion hosting cloud server snapshots and recovery. Which I will now use before touching anything.. Instant reversion of EVERYTHING if needed. Gotta love that.

So.. This error.. Can anyone tell me more about this ? What does the "/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php" do ? Is it involved with Viglink ? What is this memory limit ? WHere can I see a default and where can I view whats in use live ?

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4194312 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/Forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3171

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Your server simply runs out of memory. It's not related to the extension, it's not any kind of "corruption" of anything. Whenever the cache is purged (e.g. when toggling an extension) the next request will cause some computations to be performed once, and that's when your server runs out of memory. Some factors may cause this issue to appear intermittent.

Since it's a VPS you should be able to change this setting. The default value for memory_limit is 128 MB, that should be more than enough for your needs.

Edit: according to that page, a VPS-2000HA-S has a whooping 6 GB of RAM. It's enough to accomodate a forum 10 times this size with lots of room to spare.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

xymox

Post by xymox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 am

But what i dont understand is that I created a fresh install. Checked it worked. Then installed the backup made just after it blew up. Immd upon restore I got that error.

A clean install and then a restore from a few days before worked fine.

I have a backup that will crash a clean install.

So how does purging the cache come into the above ?

No one was on the fresh install, restore > fail immd with a out of mem error.

It seems reasonable to me that something was caught up in the backup that causes phpbb to try and suck up WAY more ram then it needed ?

I increased my memory limit to 256MB. Why not...

So can anyone tell me what specifically what "/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php" does ? and how it could run out of ram ?

I will go look at this code.

xymox

Post by xymox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 am

That code in complex and sucks in a zillion additional modules and could easily have a oopsie in the code. Its the post editor, i think.

But it might have just been the code that broke the camels back. Something else may have occupied 30MB of ram in PHP before it came along and exceeded the limit.

So its gonna be hard to trace this back to what was causing a huge amount of memory to get used even after a clean install and restore.

Something nasty happened when i disabled viglink.

In a week or so when I have more time I will go disable it again and try and remove it completely. Im not opposed to its use, I just dont want any scripts running I dont need.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 pm

If there was an issue with the Viglink extension, wouldn't it manifest itself when you enable it rather than disable it?

Whenever the cache is purged, there's a lot of work that needs to be redone. Data is pulled from the database, templates are recompiled, lots of big and small things are recomputed. The line you mentioned uses token_get_all() which itself uses a fair amount of memory. As you said, it's probably just the straw that broke the camel's back. If setting memory_limit to 128M fixes it you shouldn't worry about it. If you want to spend time on your installation, you should look into whether Opcache is enabled, because I suspect it's not. It's not directly related to your issue, it's just a good thing to enable.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

dondri

Post by dondri » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 am

I ran into basically the same thing. Except with me, anytime I enable or disable "anything" in the extension control panel, it causes my forum to go to a white page. I do not remember the error that was on the screen. It was something to the effect of pbpbb/di....

I reuploaded a backup I had and it restored the forum, but I still can not enable or disable anything or my whole forum will crash. As a matter of fact, something happened when I tried to install an optimizer. 12000 attachments (jpg) all corrupted.

I am now trying on building a new board from scratch and play around to see what is going on, but I doubt I will figure it out.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”