Questions on moving from hosted forum to own domain/phpBB forum.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
shakeninsane

Questions on moving from hosted forum to own domain/phpBB forum.

Post by shakeninsane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 am

Hi people!
Ok, so we have a bit of an odd problem here. As you might have heard, Tapatalk has been taking over a few hosted forum places. (Yuku, Zetaboards, maybe someone else?)

I was an an admin at a forum over at Yuku. We got moved to what is called the Tapatalk Group, which uses an admin CP with phpBB. But the forum itself is so crummy, I am tearing my hair out.

Now, luckily, we are a small group on our forum, just IRL friends hanging out on a forum. Two of the members are quite good at everything web-related, (coding, hosting, etc), so we are looking into just getting our own domain and making our own phpBB forum.

But I am wondering, is there a way to download the forum's posts from Tapatalk Groups (admin CP) and migrating evertyhing over to our own forum? I see there's a list of how-to's using and FTP and such, which looks like it's doable, but I can't seem to find out where or if it's even possible to download the forum as such from the ACP in the Tapatalk Groups.

We don't care about the layout/theme etc (Currently we don't even have our theme anyway since Tapatalk Group nuked it). We just want our posts.

Is this somehow possible?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Questions on moving from hosted forum to own domain/phpBB forum.

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 am

First and foremost you need a copy of the phpBB database which has all the users and posts etc. If you can get that we can help you set up your new board. Do you have FTP and phpMyAdmin access?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am

At the moment, we don't have anything :oops: as this change happened out of nowhere just two days ago. (We were told it would be minor change when Tapatalk took over Yuku, turns out it was a total change and even changed our URL). Tapatalk doesn't seem to know what a forum is, to be honest.

Anyway, I've attached a screenshot of how the admin CP looks like. I'm guessing there's no way here to download the database, but maybe the Tapatalk Support would provide me with this?

If so, then I would be following the steps on your lovely how-to guide on migrating?

But as soon as we know it's possible, we will be getting a domain/webhost, ftp (any recs? It's been decades since I used it last!), and phpMyAdmin access? (What is that in layman's terms?)

Sorry if I sound like a dingbat, I'm just springboarding into this because I'm sick of being kicked around by the free hosted forums. ;)
Attachments
ADMINCP.PNG

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 am

You should have the option to backup the database in the Maintenance tab
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Want me to port a style to 3.2.x etc. contact me here or on twitter.

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

Maybe Tapatalk has removed some features, or am I missing something? :oops:
Attachments
acpe.PNG

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:10 am

shakeninsane wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am
Maybe Tapatalk has removed some features, or am I missing something? :oops:
Yeah it looks like it, you should have Database option under Forum Logs but they restricted it. The only way I see now is to contact them to give you the backup.

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am

Ah, yeah most likely so!
Are there any complications between phpBB migrations that I might have to be aware of? I might be using the 3.2, will the forum database be readable between whatever Tapatalk is using, and the 3.2?

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:39 pm

shakeninsane wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am
Ah, yeah most likely so!
Are there any complications between phpBB migrations that I might have to be aware of? I might be using the 3.2, will the forum database be readable between whatever Tapatalk is using, and the 3.2?
You should ask them about really because there is no way we can tell if they did any major changes to the phpbb installation you have. They probably restricted the access to some of the features with the permissions. There are few different admin permissions presets in phpbb and your account is probably assigned to one of them or they did a custom one ask them about it. You also should ask them for login info for the admin/founder account that has all the permissions. So you can use it to give you all the permissions you need or you can just use the admin/founder account. Those are my thoughts and you should wait for Mick or other support member to confirm my words, before you do anything cheers :)

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks, you've been most helpful!

I've asked Tapatalk if they might grant me access or give us the database somehow. It might take a few days to get a reply from them, but in the meantime I will try to read up a bit and learn some basics about the phpBB. It's still all so new to me and the little knowledge I have of it is from being admin on the pre-set ones from other websites, haha.

But learning something new is fun! :mrgreen: Plus, making our own hosted website and all will atleast stop us from being bossed around!

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm

So, a new problem arises. (sorry for the double post btw, I hope it's not breaking the rules.)

I contacted Tapatalk Groups. First I contacted them through their own forum. A teenager apparently "working" at Tapatalk tells me I cannot "download" the fourm. I ask if it does not use phpBB and in which it most likely should have a database. As an answer, I get that Tapatalk might give us the feature to download the database......later.

I had also asked the official Tapatalk Support, waiting with a ticket and all.

I get an answer, again from this underage teenager. Saying they don't provide online databases. :evil:

Obviously this makes me super annoyed. Not only do they make our forum look like an entire mess with very little ways to fix this (Other than using css to, like, making text bold/bigger here and there) It's a complete joke.

Anyway. Is there another way around this? We don't even care about the "users" as such, we are mostly interested in the threads being moved/functioning, as we have some threads that are still active and if we shut them down, a lot of work will be gone.

Is there some software or similar that I can use to get the database or something? :|

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 am

In the past I manage to do it with a phpbb scraper, but it is not a "out of the box solution"
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

Try and get a copy of the TOS from before the takeover and see what that says about getting DB copies. If the original TOS states you can get DB copies you might be able to twist Tapatalks arm. You do need the DB complete, chunks of it are no good.

How big is your existing board, how many users and posts etc? Can you post a link to your board please?

Also rummaging I found this: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1615295

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

Our board is members-only but here's the link atleast! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cosanostrafr/

We're in total 11 members, but we're only 4 active members and have been only 4 active members the last few years. We have over 3000 posts divided into over 200 different topics. While not all are important, there's a good handful of posts that we would really need.

Yuku's TOS leads me to this one http://www.crowdgather.com/legal/ but I can't figure out if it specifies anything about the database.
Or rather, it states this though.
"Data Back-up. We are not responsible for backing up your data or any User Generated Content or other type of data attributed to your participation in forums or use of the Site. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO ASSUME THE SOLE RISK OF BACKING UP ALL USER GENERATED CONTENT THAT YOU CONTRIBUTE TO THE SITE AND EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT WE WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO LOST USER GENERATED CONTENT, WHETHER YOUR OWN OR THAT BELONGING TO THIRD PARTIES."
When I asked the Tapatalk Support if I could get access to the database through the ACP or if they could send it to me or something, the only answer I got was:
I am sorry, we don’t provide offline databases.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 am

I take it then if it's your responsibility to back up you should be supplied with the tools and access to back up with such as cPanel, FTP and phpMyAdmin etc. Tapatalk may agree to the original TOS you signed up for, you can always ask.

shakeninsane

Post by shakeninsane » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

Oh, you bet I will ask. :lol: I am completely taken aback at their customer service, considering how extremely helpful the Yuku support was, both when we were just migrated from Forumer, and in any other case where we had issues.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”