BBcode turns off part way in a post

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
supanet

Re: BBcode turns off part way in a post

Post by supanet »

JoshyPHP wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 am I've just published that: https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-nolimits

If it's useful to anyone, great, otherwise you can ignore it forever.
Thank you for this. :D

I realise not a lot of forums will have posts with this many links in one post but if you have it is nice to have the option to do something about it. ;)
G-Hubb

Post by G-Hubb »

Thanks to all who've contributed to this issue.

I'm still unclear as to why it was fine for 3.1.9 but not for 3.2

What I'm angling for is: Is there anything I can change in 3.2 so it was the same as what existed in 3.1.9 ?

I'm not referring necessarily to phpbb.

I've visited https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-nolimits but that looks way over my head.

If this is the answer then the answer for me is "no".

why was this fixed for 3.2 when it wasn't broken in 3.1.9 ?
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

Because 3.2 got new text parser.
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 pm but that looks way over my head.
That is an ordinary phpBB extension which you can download (zipped) and install usual way https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/
G-Hubb

Post by G-Hubb »

rxu wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm Because 3.2 got new text parser.
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 pm but that looks way over my head.
That is an ordinary phpBB extension which you can download (zipped) and install usual way https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/
And install usual way? Well I've never installed an "extension" in any way, usual or unusual. I don't even know what an extension is. Do I need planning permission?

Given the nightmare I had upgrading from 3.1.9 to 3.2 I'll not be wanting to invite any further challenges.
I'm frustrated that an upgrade should cause my database info to display incorrectly after I never knowingly had any extensions only those that came as a part of the phpbb package. I would love to know why 5000 links is fine but 5001 isn't, whereas it was before.

If what's happened to my site had been done by a hacker I'd be a bit annoyed, yet 3.1.9 was more secure as it was less likely security wise to have the data affected than what the upgrade did to it.

Upgrade for the sake of having upgrades. Ain't broke don't fix. Better the devil you know.

Every opening post of every topic on my site had a link to this one post in the top right hand corner that had the links in. It was a calendar with nearly 8000 dates listed. Anyone was never more than 2 clicks away from going from one date to any other.
It was key to making the whole site accessible with ease and simplicity. Now I've lost that simplicity.
I appreciate there is a method to recover it which I'll have to have a bash at if I wish to retain the work I've done thus far, but for me it is far from simple and it's just plain unnecessary.

Many thanks for the info though.
supanet

Post by supanet »

I've just installed the ext you are talking about on my test site and it does fix the issue (had to add some text to the post so it would get re-formatted)

The only down side is some of the format is still not right as you can see in the photo.

Blue shows how it should be and red shows it incorrect and green shows the [/size] at the end of the BBcode still shown in posts.

This is hit and miss all the way down the post. :o

This has nothing to do with the extension mentioned above as this was like this before i installed it only in many more places.

It has fixed all of the links. :D
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

These are questions that can be answered with very little search effort:
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pmI don't even know what an extension is
Extensions
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pmAnd install usual way? Well I've never installed an "extension" in any way, usual or unusual
Installing Extensions
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
G-Hubb

Post by G-Hubb »

Mick wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm These are questions that can be answered with very little search effort:
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pmI don't even know what an extension is
Extensions
G-Hubb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pmAnd install usual way? Well I've never installed an "extension" in any way, usual or unusual
Installing Extensions
Thanks for that Mick, though it makes sense in how it makes less sense in why.

Yes, Mods, okay, that's what they were called last time I modified a package a few years ago. Extensions now and I can understand the difference in changing the name because of the defined difference in how the file structure enables their inclusion.

I now know how to install an extension. I never installed the extension that has the problem. At least I know how I could have installed it if I had added the extension but it came as a part of the 3.2.0 standard package.
Installation isn't the problem for me as it's already pre-installed.

The problem is identifying what has changed since 3.1.9 to make something that worked very well that now doesn't work at all and that was simply having more than 5000 links in a post.
Another great thing would be to identify why it was deemed it needed to stop working so that lessons can be learnt to improve things in the future.

The fix suggested only part works as we've evidenced in Supanet's post above so I'm holding back until it's fixed 100%.
G-Hubb

Post by G-Hubb »

Okay, I've installed the extension!

It shows up in the ACP!

I've enabled the extension!

I have run out of instructions. What do I need to do next?

In case some things were so obvious they weren't included I've crossed my fingers, walked to the shops avoiding all the cracks in the pavement / sidewalk, walked back ditto.

Edit:

I've done three further things.
Given it time.
Deleted all board cookies in case I was seeing a client side cached display
Logged back in, edited the post with the problem and then submitted again.

Still no difference. Exactly the same fault at exactly the same point in the post.
supanet

Post by supanet »

G-Hubb wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:28 am Okay, I've installed the extension!

It shows up in the ACP!

I've enabled the extension!

I have run out of instructions. What do I need to do next?

In case some things were so obvious they weren't included I've crossed my fingers, walked to the shops avoiding all the cracks in the pavement / sidewalk, walked back ditto.

Edit:

I've done three further things.
Given it time.
Deleted all board cookies in case I was seeing a client side cached display
Logged back in, edited the post with the problem and then submitted again.

Still no difference. Exactly the same fault at exactly the same point in the post.
Strange, it worked for me. :?
Did you add a new bit of text to the post so it would get re-parsed like I did?
G-Hubb

Post by G-Hubb »

supanet wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 amStrange, it worked for me. :?
Did you add a new bit of text to the post so it would get re-parsed like I did?

Brilliant - spot on. It's done the trick.

I'm not worthy,<br />I'm not worthy, <br />I'm not worthy,<br />I'm......
I'm not worthy,
I'm not worthy,
I'm not worthy,
I'm......
not_worthy_giphy.gif (35 KiB) Viewed 180 times
supanet

Post by supanet »

Happy to help. :D

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”