Updating 3.2 to 3.2.1 - Database size reduced, all topic content missing.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Helios7

Re: Updating 3.2 to 3.2.1 - Database size reduced, all topic content missing.

Post by Helios7 »

KevC wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 am All of your users and posts are in the database, not in the files. If the files are correct and the config.php file is looking at the right database, the site will show up again.
Thanks.

But the database did reduce from 560 MB to 150 MB post the database update. Also the backedup database (backup performed before this update) when uncompressed shows just 250 MB in size.

What would have made this change in database size?

Will the database still stay intact with all posts even after reduction in size?

Thanks.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I don't know, might just be optimization but it's a heck of a lot! Give it a go and see what happens. You can always restore it afterwards.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

KevC wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 am I don't know, might just be optimization but it's a heck of a lot! Give it a go and see what happens. You can always restore it afterwards.
Still deleting the cache and vendor folders.

I just remembered this which could explain why we had a 550 MB size DB. My old forum PHPBB3.0 had 253 MB DB (except being an older version with no updates, the forum had no major issues forum usage wise) and when we upgraded (Feb 2017) that to PHPBB3.2.0 the DB suddenly grew to 550 MB.

So if there is not much size difference in DB size from 3.0 to 3.2 comparatively then we might had some unwanted stuffs on 3.2.0 DB that made newer DB larger by 250 MB. Hope this new update recovers all the posts and also keeps the DB at correct size.

Best regards,
Helios
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Helios7 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 pm
I just remembered this which could explain why we had a 550 MB size DB. My old forum PHPBB3.0 had 253 MB DB (except being an older version with no updates, the forum had no major issues forum usage wise) and when we upgraded (Feb 2017) that to PHPBB3.2.0 the DB suddenly grew to 550 MB.
I'm wondering if this might be related to Database size expansion 3.0.12 to 3.1.0? I seem to recall seeing something that the problem was still occurring in 3.2.0 and would be addressed in 3.2.1 (I searched but couldn't find a reference, sorry). Perhaps that would explain the behaviour that you've observed.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

P_I wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:58 pm
Helios7 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 pm
I'm wondering if this might be related to Database size expansion 3.0.12 to 3.1.0? I seem to recall seeing something that the problem was still occurring in 3.2.0 and would be addressed in 3.2.1 (I searched but couldn't find a reference, sorry). Perhaps that would explain the behaviour that you've observed.
Yes, i think the same. I have started the upload, hopefully it should resolve all the issues. :)
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

Upload completed and while updating database, receiving the following error.
General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]Duplicate key name 'itm_usr_mthd' [1061]SQLALTER TABLE phpbb_user_notifications ADD INDEX itm_usr_mthd (item_type, item_id, user_id, method) in file /home/lightonv/public_html/wordpress/phpBB_3.1/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 999BACKTRACEFILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: installer_msg_handler()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 999CALL: trigger_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql.phpLINE: 191CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 1064CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql->sql_query()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 1551CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->_sql_run_sql()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 671CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->sql_create_index()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->perform_schema_changes()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 711CALL: call_user_func_array()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 658CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->run_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 400CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 288CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 241CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update_do()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/update_database/task/update.phpLINE: 160CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.phpLINE: 149CALL: phpbb\install\module\update_database\task\update->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.phpLINE: 219CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/controller/update.phpLINE: 133CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\install\controller\update->phpbb\install\controller\{closure}()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/StreamedResponse.phpLINE: 113CALL: call_user_func()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Response.phpLINE: 380CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\StreamedResponse->sendContent()FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.phpLINE: 62CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response->send()
ACP.png
Last edited by Helios7 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you first delete the old tables in the database?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:35 pm Did you first delete the old tables in the database?
I did whats exactly given here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/ and it never suggested for any table deletion.
janus_zonstraal

Sorry, I Thought that you replace the database with a backup.
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

KevC wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 am I don't know, might just be optimization but it's a heck of a lot! Give it a go and see what happens. You can always restore it afterwards.
Hi, i did the same. Everything was fine and uploads went successful . Install too was successful, database too was showing fine but all threads were still missing so tried to a database recovery via ACP, but timedout and ACP now shows old DB.

Updating the database now fails with the following error code.
General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]Duplicate key name 'itm_usr_mthd' [1061]SQLALTER TABLE phpbb_user_notifications ADD INDEX itm_usr_mthd (item_type, item_id, user_id, method) in file /home/lightonv/public_html/wordpress/phpBB_3.1/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 999BACKTRACEFILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: installer_msg_handler()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 999CALL: trigger_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql.phpLINE: 191CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 1064CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql->sql_query()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 1551CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->_sql_run_sql()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 671CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->sql_create_index()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->perform_schema_changes()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 711CALL: call_user_func_array()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 658CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->run_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 400CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 288CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 241CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update_do()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/update_database/task/update.phpLINE: 160CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.phpLINE: 149CALL: phpbb\install\module\update_database\task\update->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.phpLINE: 219CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/controller/update.phpLINE: 133CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\install\controller\update->phpbb\install\controller\{closure}()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/StreamedResponse.phpLINE: 113CALL: call_user_func()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Response.phpLINE: 380CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\StreamedResponse->sendContent()FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.phpLINE: 62CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response->send()
ACP.png
So to get back to the successful installation i repeated the same process given in the article you shared, but this time the database instead of updating gives the same error message. Did i miss anything or anything wrong in my steps?

By attempting to recover the database, did i messup everything again?

But i have to accept that PHPBB is interesting and attempting to resolve issues is educative and informative too.

Thanks
Last edited by Helios7 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm Sorry, I Thought that you replace the database with a backup.
Yes, i did replace. Please tell me how to delete old tables in the database. Thanks.
janus_zonstraal

I"m always working with phpmyadmin, not with the restore function in the ACP, so you don't have to delete the tables I think?
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm I"m always working with phpmyadmin, not with the restore function in the ACP, so you don't have to delete the tables I think?
Ok, i should learn more and get better on both backup and updates on PHPBB.

I would have been a lot less stressful had i backedup the entire forum instead of just the database which i have no idea is in good shape as both backup and recovery leads to server timingout.

Thanks.
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

@KevC : Should i create a new folder, install a fresh 3.2.1 there and try to recover the database there (so all the files are brand new but database is old)?
Will that work?
Will i be able to perform an database update after this process?

Thanks.
janus_zonstraal

Helios7 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm @KevC : Should i create a new folder, install a fresh 3.2.1 there and try to recover the database there (so all the files are brand new but database is old)?
Will that work?
Will i be able to perform an database update after this process?

Thanks.
You did that: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
If you did that correct all the (important) files are new.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”