[Split] noob question on forum backup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Mulsiphix

[Split] noob question on forum backup

Post by Mulsiphix » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 pm
How I do it can be read HERE
I found this topic and your response HiFiKabin, and was really excited. I read the guide and grabbed MySQLDumper. Unfortunately, it doesn't start the install process. I looked into it and the project has been dead for three or so years. I'm curious, are you still using this software for automated backup? If not, can you tell me what you are using instead?
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

janus_zonstraal

Re: noob question on forum backup

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Try this extension
viewtopic.php?t=2400156
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm
Try this extension
viewtopic.php?t=2400156
Thank you very much for responding ;)

HiFiKabin actually refers to this extension in his article. He mentioned that it only backs up phpBB databases though. For those that would like to backup all their databases, including the non-phpBB ones, MySQLDumper was his answer. I do have non-phpBB databases present, so that is definitely a big plus of using MySQLDumper. I'm curious if anything else is out there that can accomplish this task :D

janus_zonstraal

noob question on forum backup

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 am

You don't need MySQLDumper
Just run a script with Cron and ready, I backup all my databases every 4 hours

https://www.smekdigital.com/easy-cron-j ... r-website/
Database Backup Cron Job

Objective: Add a CRON job to create a SQL file that will use the current date and time in the file’s name. This SQL file will be saved in a folder called “DB-backup”.

Create a folder (NOT in the public_html or www folder) to save the backup files. Make sure it’s a level up from your web folder!
In this example, I created a folder called “DB-backup”
Add CRON job command and select the interval. Test CRON job and verify file creation.

This command will dump a MYSQL database in the FILES-backup folder using today’s date/time.

mysqldump -u Jimmy -pJimmyPW JimmyDB > DB-backups/$(date +\%m-\%d-\%Y-\%H.\%M.\%S)-JIMMY-db.sql

In this example, your hosting username and password (usually same login as your Cpanel or web hosting) is Jimmy / JimmyPW,

and your database name is JimmyDB, and the resulting file will be saved in the DB-backups folder.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: [Split] noob question on forum backup

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 pm
How I do it can be read HERE
I found this topic, and your response HiFiKabin, and was really excited. I read the guide and grabbed MySQLBackup. Unfortunately, it doesn't start the install process. I looked into it and the project has been dead for three or so years. I'm curious, are you still using this software for automated backup? If not, can you tell me what you are using instead?
Yes, I am still using MySQLDumper and it is working correctly on my server. I have it in a separate directory running php 5.6.40 as it will not work on later php versions. I suspect that is the issue you are facing.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 am
I backup all my databases every 4 hours
Blimey, that seems a lot but what the hey, do you check each one is good?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:33 am

Not all of them, ones in the month I check one backup.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am
Yes, I am still using MySQLDumper and it is working correctly on my server. I have it in a separate directory running php 5.6.40 as it will not work on later php versions. I suspect that is the issue you are facing.
Crap. Sounds like a good reason for it not to respond when I tried to initiate the installation. I'm using Shared hosting so using your solution to getting MySQLDumper to run isn't going to work for me. You might consider updating the guide on your site to reflect this. Although the part of your guide involving NetDrive and Acronis is still extremely helpful to me. Thank you for writing it up ;).

janus_zonstraal wrote:

https://www.smekdigital.com/easy-cron-j ... r-website/
Thank you for this! I will go ahead and set this up today :D

Mick wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 am
janus_zonstraal wrote:
I backup all my databases every 4 hours
Blimey, that seems a lot but what the hey, do you check each one is good?
Is there a reason to believe they wouldn't be good? Also, how do you test them?
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:16 pm

There can always something go wrong.
I test them by importing the backup into my testboard :)

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:16 pm
There can always something go wrong.
I test them by importing the backup into my testboard :)
Is it as simple as trying to load them into Cpanel and seeing if it throws an error or is there more to it?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:20 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
If you want a highly configurable script google automysqlbackup, note there is a lot more involved with it than just creating a cron job . Default is to create a backup every 24 hours. Basic settings allow for daily backups which are rotated out after 7 days, weekly backups rotated out every 4 weeks and monthly backups rotated out every 6 months but you can adjust as needed. In other words after it runs for six months you will have a backup for every day for the last 7 days, a backup for every week for four weeks and a backup for one month going back six months.

One thing to keep in mind about backups is you want to preserve previous backups within reason. If for example some unnamed nitwit reuses a forum with pruning enabled and moves a bunch of posts into it, then proceeds to overwrite the only backup with new backup after the posts have been pruned a few days later without realizing his mistake.... they are gone. :oops:

I have script for FTP to sync bakup folder on the server with local machine but there is lot of options for this. You can for example FTP it to backup server or email it. Also options for encrypting them. There is also options for incremental backups if you have large database and want to do it hourly or whatever.

It's worth exploring if you want a robust automated solution.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Cpanel is for adjust or test the settings from the server not for databases.
Use phpmyadmin or a other tool.

Just import and look if everything is working in your test board and if the latest post are there.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am
Crap. Sounds like a good reason for it not to respond when I tried to initiate the installation. I'm using Shared hosting so using your solution to getting MySQLDumper to run isn't going to work for me. You might consider updating the guide on your site to reflect this. Although the part of your guide involving NetDrive and Acronis is still extremely helpful to me. Thank you for writing it up ;).
Yes, I'll update the Knowledge Base later. I am also on shared hosting and my hosting company allows me to choose php version by directory/sub directory. It might be worth your while asking your hosting company and see if they have something similar.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm
It might be worth your while asking your hosting company and see if they have something similar.
So pretty much follow your guide, and ask them to make the MySQLDumper folder run PHP v5 in that specific folder?

thecoalman wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:20 pm
If you want a highly configurable script google automysqlbackup, note there is a lot more involved with it than just creating a cron job.
I saw you recommend this before, and loved how it curates backups as you've described. But in that other post you stated:
The only trouble with this is managing it. If you have root access look at this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/
I am using Shared Hosting, so no root access. I figured this option was out for me. However, that comment was made 2+ years ago. Perhaps the software requirements have changed. Would I be able to run it on Shared hosting now?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm
It might be worth your while asking your hosting company and see if they have something similar.
So pretty much follow your guide, and ask them to make the MySQLDumper folder run PHP v5 in that specific folder?
Either ask them how to apply different php versions to a specific directory (my host allows user access for this) or upload all the MySQLDumper files to the server and ask the hosting company to do it for you. It all depends on their setup. Once you have the correct php version for that one directory the MySQLDumper should install without error.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”