Several errors with update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
toronto2001

Several errors with update

Post by toronto2001 »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? http://gtworld.ca/index.php
Who do you host your board with? FatCow
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.0
What extensions do you have installed? Adsense and Ads for phpoBB
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver Special Edition
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? CrashTestDummy
What password can be used to view this issue? *removed*
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? The install was backwards, I think. At some point I got to the rebuild database prompt but then the board didn't work at all after that. I got error messages then nothing until I created a new phpBB3 folder in root, put in everything from the download package except the three main folders and the config.php. I added those and the board worked again but I think the database is screwed up somehow.
Please describe your problem. 1. When posting, there is a long delay after pressing Submit then the page stays the same as if the posting didn't work. It did though as the post shows up on the board but there is no confirmation screen.
2. Inactive members are shown sometimes but not always. In other words I get a notice that someone has registered but not all the time.
3. When activating a new member, I get the same thing as I do when posting. I press Activate, the page works away then stops with the new user still sitting in the Inactive spot. But the user really is activated as I see when opening the forum in a new tab. When I go back and click Inactive Users, the user isn't shown.
Generated by SRT Generator

Thanks for any help I get.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed admin password.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Several errors with update

Post by Mick »

It's not wise posting admin credentials, I've removed the password for security reasons. I suggest you change the supplied admin password ASAP. Maybe you could supply a regular user account if you think it's required or helpful?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

Mick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 pm It's not wise posting admin credentials, I've removed the password for security reasons. I suggest you change the supplied admin password ASAP. Maybe you could supply a regular user account if you think it's required or helpful?
That account is simply a registered user, not an admin. What made you think it was an admin account and password?

Edit: OK, I see what you meant. I'll create a new account and change what needs to be changed. Thanks.
Last edited by toronto2001 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Because I accessed the ACP, check the log.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

Mick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:36 pm Because I accessed the ACP, check the log.
OK, that member was for testing and in the registered user group, that's why I asked. I logged in on another browser and saw the notifications, over 900. Phew! Thanks for telling me about that.

OK. You can use: FranklyScarlett as username then : testingphpbb as password.

Edit: I purged the cache before I posted the problem, just so you know.
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

Mick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:36 pm Because I accessed the ACP, check the log.
There are more problems with this than I knew about on the original post. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am guessing that it's a database problem. If I create a new DB then link the forum to it, would that work?
Thanks for any tips I can get, crew.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

All your post,settings and members are in the database, if you make a new one, all your data is gone.

Can you tell us about the other problems or do we have to guess?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am All your post,settings and members are in the database, if you make a new one, all your data is gone.

Ah OK, so the database is crucial. I thought everything was in the three main folders (store, vendor,images, etc. )
Errors are:
1. Posting. Huge delay most of the time, no confirmation of post being accepted but it has been if you open the board in another tab.
2. PMs are the same. You send a PM, nothing comes up but the PM Has been sent as you can see in your outbox open in another tab.
3. Images are missing that were there before. Not all but many. The thumbnail is there in some cases but the larger image you get on clicking the thumbnail isn't. The result is the same as a blank background in an image editing tool, no color, just the white screen with the pattern on it.
4. The email system isn't working. Notices are not being sent out by the board. The error message is:
"Email error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/adm/index.php

Could not get mail server response codes.
Backtrace
Connecting to smtp.fatcow.com:587
LINE: 1139 <- 220 ESMTP Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:16:06 -0400: UCE strictly prohibited

# EHLO walcustweb1604.int.bizland.net
LINE: 1486 <- 250-walauthsmtp05.yourhostingaccount.com Hello walcustweb1604.int.bizland.net [65.254.225.176]

LINE: 1486 <- 250-SIZE 34603008

LINE: 1486 <- 250-8BITMIME

LINE: 1486 <- 250-PIPELINING

LINE: 1486 <- 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

LINE: 1486 <- 250-STARTTLS

LINE: 1486 <- 250 HELP

# STARTTLS
LINE: 1531 <- 220 TLS go ahead

# AUTH PLAIN"

That's it as far as I can tell. I just found out about the image problem this morning. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am All your post,settings and members are in the database, if you make a new one, all your data is gone.

Any ideas? The only way I could get the board back up again was to create another directory, upload all phpBB files and folders except the main three folders and config.php. That's when the problems started. The install never got to the Update Database (or whatever that step is called). Is there a way to rebuild the database from inside the ACP? Are there steps in
phpMyAdmin that would sort this out?

I know the Updates aren't available this time but they sure made things easier for people like me. It's a bit scary to reinstall everything because for me anyway, the steps didn't work. The various screens that were supposed to come up didn't. The board was working perfectly before then was offline for a full day until I did the above install routine. I'd love to either go back to the old software or start fresh but I sure don't want to lose all the data that's on the site. I can't believe my situation is unique.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

The only way I could get the board back up again was to create another directory, upload all phpBB files and folders except the main three folders and config.php.
the steps didn't work.
What steps did you follow?

There aren't instructions to create another directory and upload only the half of the files.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am
The only way I could get the board back up again was to create another directory, upload all phpBB files and folders except the main three folders and config.php.
the steps didn't work.
What steps did you follow?

There aren't instructions to create another directory and upload only the half of the files.
I uploaded ALL the files as I said in my previous post. These are the steps I used https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

Step 4, at least to my eyes, is the same as what I did. Since the phpBB backup zip was corrupt as soon as I downloaded it, I didn't want to lose the old Images, Store and files folders or the config.php. I downloaded them, actually several times, then created the new root folder 'phpbb3' after renaming the old one 'phpbb3old'. Uploading the three folders as well as the rest of the software seemed to be the same as leaving them there and uploading/overwriting everything else.

I've updated the board for several years without a hitch. Updating the database was done in a previous attempt that followed the instructions to a T but after that, the forum wasn't working at all.

Maybe this is unsolvable. Maybe I have to create a subdomain and start again, leaving the old forum in place for reference but somewhat crippled. It works but is frustrating to use. The mail problem may be something to do with FatCow blocking what they think is spam. They've done it before.

Anyway, thanks for your help and everyone else who read this thread.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

When downloading your images and / or re-uploading, did you check that your ftp client uses binary mode? See here Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla for the reasons.

If you renamed your old folder on the server instead of deleting it (as you mentioned), you should have all image file still present in that folder
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

canonknipser wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 pm When downloading your images and / or re-uploading, did you check that your ftp client uses binary mode? See here Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla for the reasons.

If you renamed your old folder on the server instead of deleting it (as you mentioned), you should have all image file still present in that folder
I use FileZilla only so I assume it uses binary. Everything has worked fine for the previous updates until this one. I've always used the auto update feature, too. I really wish there was auto update available for this one.
As for the images, you've hit on something that's been bothering me for a while. The question I have is: Where is everything? Is everything in the database or are some things, like images, in the images folder? What exactly is in the database that has to be preserved? I'm guessing it keeps track of everything, sorts stuff out and manages all of the organization needed to make the forum work. Are there some things, PMs for example, that are only in the database?

My problem seems to be with the database but I'm guessing there too. If it is corrupted, is there a way to fix that? I'll compare the size of the images folders now, thanks for that suggestion.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm so I assume it uses binary
Don't assume, check ;)
toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm Where is everything? Is everything in the database or are some things, like images, in the images folder?
Most things are in the database, there are only a few things in the file system (That's the reason why the update/upgrade instruction with the full replacement methods tells you to delete all files on the server except
  • the file config.php (it holds the connection information to the database)
  • the folder files (all attachments are stored here)
  • the folder store (it contains database backups made from acp, files created by extensions etc.)
  • the folder images/avatars/upload (contains, as the name says, user avatars upload via ucp)
  • the folder ext (contains all extensions; you need to disable them before an update, and after the update check if there is a new version compatible for your phpBB-version, if so, update the extension, re-eneable them)
toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm If it is corrupted, is there a way to fix that
If you have error from the database sytems which give a hint for corrupted table, restore your database from your backup
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 »

canonknipser wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:25 pm
toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm so I assume it uses binary
Don't assume, check ;)
toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm Where is everything? Is everything in the database or are some things, like images, in the images folder?
Most things are in the database, there are only a few things in the file system (That's the reason why the update/upgrade instruction with the full replacement methods tells you to delete all files on the server except
  • the file config.php (it holds the connection information to the database)
  • the folder files (all attachments are stored here)
  • the folder store (it contains database backups made from acp, files created by extensions etc.)
  • the folder images/avatars/upload (contains, as the name says, user avatars upload via ucp)
  • the folder ext (contains all extensions; you need to disable them before an update, and after the update check if there is a new version compatible for your phpBB-version, if so, update the extension, re-eneable them)
toronto2001 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm If it is corrupted, is there a way to fix that
If you have error from the database sytems which give a hint for corrupted table, restore your database from your backup
Uh oh. I checked and the ASCII thing was checked. What would that have screwed up? Some image files work, some don't but they all have extensions. If all the transfers were done with that mode checked, what should I look for to find errors?

Thanks for the explanation of what is where in phpBB. It's the attachments that are the biggest problem right now. People are trying to tune their cars for the racing sims but the tune image is missing in many cases, also in different threads. It's not just one thread but it's not across the forum either. Some or most, I would say.

I don't know enough/anything about mySQL or phpMyAdmin to restore the database.

Not sure if I disabled the adsense (Stoker) extension. Initially I couldn't find the disable page but found it later and disabled it to see if it was causing the errors. I enabled it again then switched to PS Special edition and the board worked but not perfectly.

Thanks for the input. Someone from here is looking into it and I'll post back if there are results or not.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”