3Di wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 am
Your best bet here, before the details will be cleared up a bit more (and without stress) is to restore the DB and files back to the original, to prevent further loss of data. Then attempt to upgrade the Board on a separate subdomain of sort/see: locally. In my experience though, a direct upgrade to 3.0.14 to 3.2.x is full of minefields. Better to upgrade first to 3.1.. no time now for details sorry.
You live board shouldn't be affected directly by this operation, never.
Haha I knew if I left out the bit where I'm forced to do the upgrade a certain way that some potshots would be taken, and yes, I'd love to be able to do a "local" but havent got space - and yes, I took a shortcut with 3.0.14 and deleted the files and replaced them with 3.2.1 and ran the updater (as per normal previous it has never been a huge issue) but the update on the db timed out and spat me a fatal error.... that is when I wished I had 2 additional sqldb's.... but my host is a PITA with db size limites and support tickets and slow RTT's on those tickets....
so what occurred was supposed to be straightforward - but because of the DB size, I had to raise a support ticket with the host.backup file was imported into a separate DB, it was corrupt. the phpbb install / upgrade went swimmingly until a fatal error. More time was lost waiting for ticket response (hours) and some side-issues were discovered... like a mariadb php5.4 issue hidden from end-user and not changeable.
So in all of this, I've also decided to look for another host. Why? because nothing could get any worse than this.
What I'm currently left with is a now 100% fresh 3.2.1 install with empty phpbb_ prefixed tables sitting in one DB, with a non-corrupt backup (whose tables have no prefix).
I'm "hoping" that someone could now possibly provide advice on how to merge the tables, without overwriting the new 3.2.1 table structure/data - because I am guessing that the table structure is different enough to cause big problems.
the huge plus, is that I have a bare, empty working 3.2.1 and none of those weird issues.
Back to your questions though:
1. yes I did run stk - after I made a backup, but not before I also uninstalled and deleted the mods through the acp.
I hope that removing the mods in the 'normal' way didn't affect stk.
I did follow the noxwizard upgrade bible - so process was the same from there on - moved the /files /images / store directories to a safe location (there are gigs of files and images, which have become difficult to manage)
Yes, I could have done some things better. Like not chosen 3.2 - except thats where I landed when I came to phpbb.com. maybe there needs to eb a huge red flag on the homepage warning 3.0 users....
tail between legs, I have a support ticket ro restore another copy of the sql backup into the second DB and hope that 3.0.14 will connect to that one without issue. if not, I am royally fkd. yippee!
Bear in mind I haven't lost any data - I hope. I have 3 sql backups, and would dearly love to be able to do this locally, but simply haven't got enough space on laptop or attached drives to create another vm.
thanks for the advice. Better go get me some religion - only thing that will fix this now is some belief in a higher being