Invalid repository file with PHP7 and Debian 9

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ekalin

Invalid repository file with PHP7 and Debian 9

Post by ekalin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I upgraded my server to Debian 9, which brough in PHP 7 (7.0.19, to be more exact).

My old phpBB 3.1.10 stopped worked, so I decided to upgrade to the latest 3.2.1. I followed the instructions at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/, basically replacing everything with the new version, expect for config.php and the directories listed there.

The database upgrade was successful, and I can access the ACP (or at least some parts of it). But the main forum page does not load. I get the following errors in the log:

Code: Select all

2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: Invalid repository file in /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/Repository.php:30
2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: Stack trace:
2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: #0 /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/RepositoryCollection.php(22): s9e\TextFormatter\Plugins\BBCodes\Configurator\Repository->__construct('/storage/www/ki...', Object(s9e\TextFormatter\Plugins\BBCodes\Configurator\BBCodeMonkey))
2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: #1 /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php(7941): s9e\TextFormatter\Plugins\BBCodes\Configurator\RepositoryCollection->normalizeValue('/storage/www/ki...')
2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: #2 /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php(7911): s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator\Collections\NormalizedCollection->set('default', '/storage/www/ki...')
2017-09-09 11:44:00: (mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: #3 /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator.php(80): s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator\Collections\NormalizedCollection->add('defau in /storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/Repository.php on line 30
Does anyone have any idea how to solve that?

Thanks,

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: Invalid repository file with PHP7 and Debian 9

Post by JoshyPHP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Something related to XML, maybe an issue with the DOM extension. Put the following code in a PHP file, upload it to your server, execute it and it may give you a better error message:

<?php

$dom = new DOMDocument;
$dom->preserveWhiteSpace = false;
var_dump($dom->load('/storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/repository.xml'));
I wrote the thing that does the BBCodes in 3.2. Unless it broke yours, in which case it was somebody else with a similar name.

ekalin

Post by ekalin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Running that file through the webserver, I get this error:

PHP Warning: DOMDocument::load(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity &quot;/storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/repository.xml&quot; in /storage/www/kildclient/test-l.php on line 5

Running the script directly in the command line works, so the file itself is OK.

Permissions are also fine. I tested this script got the contents of the file:

<?php
$c = file_get_contents('/storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/repository.xml')
echo $c
I was able to make your script work by adding

libxml_disable_entity_loader(false);
to the file. Adding this to config.php made the forum load again. However, this seems to me like a hack, and from what I searched this apparently disables a security feature.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:38 pm

There's no external entity in this XML file. It would be interesting to remove parts of the file (the <bbcode> elements) until you find out which one triggers this error.
I wrote the thing that does the BBCodes in 3.2. Unless it broke yours, in which case it was somebody else with a similar name.

ekalin

Post by ekalin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm

I think the "external entity" is the whole file.

I tried with an empty xml file, and got the same error. Also, running the script in the command line works.

Moreover, this works, for the same file:

<?php

$dom = new DOMDocument;
$dom->preserveWhiteSpace = false;
$c = file_get_contents('/storage/www/kildclient/forum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/repository.xml');
var_dump($dom->loadXML($c));
For the record, I'm using lighttpd with its FastCGI module. It seems to be some restriction imposed by this setup that prevents libxml from directly reading files.

Mortal

Post by Mortal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Got the same problem here: I installed the package php-fdomdocument and it fixes the problem.

ekalin

Post by ekalin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Well, now the problem does not happen even after I reverted the little hack I had used (and restarted the http server, just to be sure). But I'll keep this solution in mind if the problem happens again.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”