New to phpbb -- a little help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
theturk76017

New to phpbb -- a little help

Post by theturk76017 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm

I have uploaded the files to my hosting website but am unclear how to get started (setting up initial bulletin board). I have looked at some of the documentation but it is no clear to me what to do next.

Is there a link to a "getting started" user guide or some easy to follow step by step approach.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: New to phpbb -- a little help

Post by stevemaury » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Have you created a database?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm

And what's the exact address that you have upload the files to? You should at least be able to see the first installation page.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

theturk76017

Post by theturk76017 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

OK - got through the installation and it said installed correctly. (no additional info was given). I have move away from that page and now I am unsure how to get to the bulletin board.

I am sure this is easier that it appears. Just a bit frustrated since I have spent several days trying to get this to work(please note the title "New to phpbb". lol

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Delete the folder called /install if you haven't already done so and go to the address you first went to when you uploaded it all

Presumably something like www.yoursite.com/phpBB
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

theturk76017

Post by theturk76017 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 pm

I see a warning:

Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.

Not sure where that file is located. Is that why you advised me to delete the install subdirectory?

toronto2001

Post by toronto2001 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

theturk76017 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 pm
I see a warning:

Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.

Not sure where that file is located. Is that why you advised me to delete the install subdirectory?
How do you access your files? If you go through your host, use File Manager and look for the folder that you installed phpBB in. Normally that folder is named something similar to your forum. In that folder there will be a folder named phpBB3. Inside that is the Install folder. Rename it or delete as directed. I rename mine, just in case. So the path is Root/forum main folder/phpBB3. If you access your files through FTP, the route is the same, more or less.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 am

What is the address of your site? It's easier if we know what that is.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”