Using phpbb as a download site

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
php_mike

Using phpbb as a download site

Post by php_mike »

I have a need to share documentation, files and other things so was thinking about setting up a virtual host on one of our servers.

Then I had this thought, wondering if phpbb could be a good download server and maybe even safer than simply serving files up from a directory structure. I mean, I know users can upload files into their posts and things like that but in order to handle large numbers of files, that would be very tedious so maybe there are other ways.

Has anyone ever seen or done something like this using phpbb? I like to avoid plugins as much as possible and would prefer using as much of the built in functionality as possible.

I'd love to hear from others if you have such experience.

Thanks.
david63

Re: Using phpbb as a download site

Post by david63 »

php_mike wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm wondering if phpbb could be a good download server
phpBB is not a server - it is an application that runs on a server.

Whilst phpBB can be used to download files from what you are saying I would be inclined to look elsewhere for something that is more specificily designed to do what you are wanting.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
php_mike

Post by php_mike »

You're mincing words for some reason. It should be pretty clear that I know what an application is versus a server.

"was thinking about setting up a virtual host on one of our servers"

Meaning at first I was thinking of simply creating a sub-domain for downloads on a server.
Then I was thinking about using the phpbb APP on the server.

Anyhow, there are many apps that could be re purposed for other things. Even if something is built to be one thing doesn't mean it cannot be used in another way. The point of my question was asking if phpbb might be a good solution for serving up files. I don't really want completely anonymous downloads and prefer that people would have to sign up in order to download. I like the idea of putting files in forums because it would also allow users to comment, make suggestions, offer input etc about that particular download.

I think I'm talking myself into the idea :).
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Try it. Let us know.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”