phpBB3 won't upload properly

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jhearcht

phpBB3 won't upload properly

Post by jhearcht » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm

phpBB3 on Windows 10; Firefox FTP

A few days ago I downloaded the phpBB3.2.1 zip file (https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/), then unzipped it, and uploaded the files to my Bluehost site. After a few false starts, the program began to run, and I went through the setup, and started exploring the options.

Later, I got a message encouraging me to update the program. So I downloaded the update, and followed the same procedure. But my FTP app continued to run after all the files appeared in the phpBB folder. It seemed to be trying to upload the same files over & over. Eventually, I had to abort. And then, although all the files are in place, the program wouldn't open in my browser. After the second attempt to update, I decided to just install the original files. But again the upload to my host gets stuck. When I direct my browser to the << Install/app.php >> folder, I get error << 404 file not found >>

Any ideas what the problem is? The FTP app has always worked in the past. Is there some glitch in the current download of 3.2.1? Is there another way to install the program?

janus_zonstraal

Re: phpBB3 won't upload properly

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 am

But my FTP app continued to run after all the files appeared in the phpBB folder.
You didn't upload all the files, try it with a other ftp program (Filezilla)
This has nothing to do with phpbb
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:08 pm

jhearcht wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm
Later, I got a message encouraging me to update the program. So I downloaded the update
What update was that? The original 3.2.1 should have been the latest version.

jhearcht

Post by jhearcht » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:56 pm

You didn't upload all the files, try it with a other ftp program (Filezilla)
This has nothing to do with phpbb
Firefox FTP has never had a problem with any other uploads. In this case all of the files on my hard drive were uploaded, but the program continued trying to upload for an unreasonable time, until I aborted.

I originally installed phpBB3 with the Bluehost One-Click installer, and it worked quickly and completely. But then I found a tab in the Introduction that implied that I needed to update. After two tries with the Update button, I gave up, and used the One-Click installer again. After a brief period it said << Installation Complete >>, and all the files were in place. This time the install worked, and I'm now going through the setup process again.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by jhearcht on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jhearcht

Post by jhearcht » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 am

What update was that? The original 3.2.1 should have been the latest version.
I also thought 3.2.1 was the current version of phpBB. But after I began using the program, in the Introduction there was an Update tab which strongly suggesting that I upgrade. So I clicked on the Update button, and everything got screwed up. Could that have been a malware trap? My virus checker didn't find anything wrong with the update zip files.

Anyway, after two false tries to update, I have now successfully installed phpBB3.2.1 for the second time. This time I won't respond to the suggestion that my new install was already out of date.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 am

I originally installed phpBB3 with the Bluehost One-Click installer,
Never use the one click installer, we don't know what files the using and can't give support.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”