Upgrading to 3.2 fails when using MSSQL

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
gsmaclean

Upgrading to 3.2 fails when using MSSQL

Post by gsmaclean »

Why does it seem like I'm the only person running PHPBB under MSSQL? Every new release it seems the MSSQL database library is released with blatant bugs in it which prevent the system from running. Obviously nobody tested the 3.1 -> 3.2 upgrade under MSSQL, because it would fail.

This is to help anyone else who may be experiencing the same frustration I went through trying to upgrade the system from 3.1 to 3.2 when running MSSQL.

It will fail. To fix it, open the /phpbb/db/tools/mssql.php file in a text editor.

On line 524, you will find:

Code: Select all

if ($this->is_sql_server_2000())
Change it to:

Code: Select all

if ($this->mssql_is_sql_server_2000())
Do the exact same thing on line 544.

This will fix the bug and allow the upgrade to complete.

It's unbelievable to me that blatant bugs such as this one, which completely prevent the system from upgrading (or running, as in previous bugs in the MSSQL library that I have found, fixed and posted), are sent out without any testing, to unsuspecting users who, unlike myself, may not be able to code in PHP and can find and fix these problems.
david63

Re: Upgrading to 3.2 fails when using MSSQL

Post by david63 »

If you believe that you have found a bug then in order for it to get "fixed" you should post it in the bug tracker.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
gsmaclean

Post by gsmaclean »

david63 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 pm If you believe that you have found a bug then in order for it to get "fixed" you should post it in the bug tracker.
I have done so. But until the next release, people who are attempting to upgrade today on MSSQL need to have something they can find that will solve this problem.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Thanks for your report. We've now implemented your fix which will be used in the next release.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
AutoJunkie79

Post by AutoJunkie79 »

Wow thanks so much for sharing this gsmaclean!

I just spent hours searching and reading on the infamous "Installer detected a timeout" issue. My board was coming up fine after the 3.2.1 upgrade from 3.2.0 but I couldn't get the DB to upgrade. It wasn't the commonly referred to timeout setting because I got the error message just seconds after clicking "upgrade".

You are not the only one out there. ;) I'm running on Windows 2016 Std w/ MSSQL 2016 Express; PHP 7.1.9 and phpBB 3.2.1. It has definitely been a learning curve and you are right the support is thin.

I agree, the QA process is a bit lacking, especially for the Windows folks. Thanks for being my hero today!
scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot »

Thanks also.

I had to rebuild my server after a crash, then discovered the newer php needed the newer phpbb, then found it kept failing on the database update and I was sure it was because of everything else be new versions as well.
Forcing phpBB to submit on Microsoft platforms since 2005
Windows Server 2012R2, IIS8.5, MSSQL2012
wyrmmage

Post by wyrmmage »

Thank you so much for this!

I was running into this issue when trying to do a fresh installation.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”