Question about migration

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
khabbab

Question about migration

Post by khabbab » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 am

Hi,

I have PHPBB 3.0.12 at old hosting and i wanted to move whole forum to a new hosting server which only supports latest version 3.2.1. I upgraded the PHPBB version at old hosting through this link viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2402101. Then I took whole forum backup from old hosting through Cpanel. I also did fresh installation of 3.2.1 at the new hosting. I have two questions:

1- The version of Cpanel is not the same on old and new hosting, is that a pre-requisite for whole forum restore through cpanel?
2- I have also downloaded the backup of home directory, database, emails through cpanel from old hosting. Now when i try to restore at the new hosting through cpanel, i upload the backup through browser and sometimes my internet connection is reset and whole upload is lost. Can i do this through FTP? I got both the old and new FTP.

Thanks.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Question about migration

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Backup your 3.2.1 database using phpMyAdmin. Restore is on your new host using phpMyAdmin. Edit your config.php file to match the requirements of your new database.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

khabbab

Post by khabbab » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:51 pm
Backup your 3.2.1 database using phpMyAdmin. Restore is on your new host using phpMyAdmin. Edit your config.php file to match the requirements of your new database.
Understood. But what about the all other PHPBB files including store and images etc ? can i restore home directory backup using FTP ?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes of course.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

khabbab

Post by khabbab » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm
Yes of course.
I have got a .tar file of home directory backup taken through cpanel. How do it restore it through FTP, which folders to copy ?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 pm

you will want to copy and overwrite with the /files, /store and /images folders.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”