Email notification to activate new account registration, ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
profKroy

Email notification to activate new account registration, ?

Post by profKroy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 am

I've been having an ongoing email issue that I thought a migration and upgrade to 3.2 might solve. Unfortunately it hasn't, leaving me think that I just may not be fully aware of how phpbb functions.

I have my board set so that new registrations/accounts have to be activated by the admin (me). I should receive an email notification of a new registration that needs to be activated, right? I seem to recall getting those notifications and for some reason, they just stopped. A year ago I couldn't track down the issue, and I still can't seem to.

All other board emails work fine, i.e. users get notified that there account will be activated. The 'test' email I send from ACP comes though just fine. I can send bulk email to users through the ACP...no problem. Subscribers to topics/forums get notified via email. For all intents and purposes, email works fine on the board. It's just that I don't receive email notifications of new registrations needing approval. Consequently I have to 'stand by' and monitor new "Inactive Users" can limit my response time to students who are trying to get into the forum.

Email is not being routed into SPAM. Nor is there an error logged in the ACP that an email wasn't sent. I tried changing the email address too, just in case the one email address was being blocked...and still no email notification.

Same result using SMTP or php mail() function.

At a loss. Any suggestions on what I can try or where to look? Many thanks.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

profKroy

Re: Email notification to activate new account registration, ?

Post by profKroy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:36 am

NEVERMIND!

Could have sworn this was built-in functionality. Here's the solution...

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... istration/

Code was applied as per this post and now my life is changed forever. :o
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm

That extension is for sending the Admin a notification when you have activation set to "user" or "none".
You want activation set to "admin", so that extension would not be active.

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Brf wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm
That extension is for sending the Admin a notification when you have activation set to "user" or "none".
You want activation set to "admin", so that extension would not be active.
Correct, however there is a modification to the code that was made to expand the functionality. I've been working with it for a few days now, including the modified code, and it works perfectly. So I am getting notified, even though I have 'User activation settings' > 'Account activation:' set to > 'By admin'.

The code to modify it is in the topic thread.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm

If you have activation set to "by admin", you would already be getting a notification without any extension needed, assuming you have your notification settings set properly.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”