Table BBCode broken after upgrade to 3.2.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Electrix

Table BBCode broken after upgrade to 3.2.1

Post by Electrix »

Hi. Today I have upgraded my board from phpBB 3.1.10 to 3.2.1 and now I have troubles with table BBCode. Initially, I have posted this in another similar thread, but I was advised by a mod to start a new topic. So here it comes.

Previously (on 3.1.10) I was using these definitions:

Code: Select all

[table]{TEXT}[/table]
<table>{TEXT}</table>

[table=center]{TEXT}[/table]
<table class="center">{TEXT}</table>

[tr]{TEXT}[/tr]
<tr>{TEXT}</tr>

[th]{TEXT}[/th]
<th>{TEXT}</th>

[td]{TEXT}[/td]
<td>{TEXT}</td>

[th={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2}]{TEXT}[/th]
<th colspan="{NUMBER1}" rowspan="{NUMBER2}">{TEXT}</th>

[td={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2}]{TEXT}[/td]
<td colspan="{NUMBER1}" rowspan="{NUMBER2}">{TEXT}</td>
Unfortunately, after upgrade to phpBB 3.2.1 all these BBCodes (except [table] itself) stopped working and started showing as plain text (on newly submitted posts). After some testing I have found out that renaming those "overloaded" cell tags (th=, td=) to something else (for ex. thc=, tdc=) solves the problem.

So far so good. Unfortunately, I have noticed that when I do so, all OLD posts, that contain this BBCode tag, become broken (again, BBCode is shown as plain text). The board is very large, so manually editing all affected posts is out of question.

Software used on web server (shouldn't matter, just for the sake of completness):
  • PHP 5.4.44
  • MySQL 5.6.26
  • NGINX 1.13.6
Do you guys have any other ideas aside from going back to 3.1.10? Thank you very much for help.
„Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.“[A. Einstein]
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: Table BBCode broken after upgrade to 3.2.1

Post by JoshyPHP »

There's a known issue with BBCodes sharing the same name. You'll need to create a single BBCode and mark the attributes as optional. There's some doc there.

[th={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2} colspan={NUMBER1;optional} rowspan={NUMBER2;optional}]{TEXT}[/th]
<th><xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/><xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>{TEXT}</th>

[td={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2} colspan={NUMBER1;optional} rowspan={NUMBER2;optional}]{TEXT}[/td]
<td><xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/><xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>{TEXT}</td>
If you want to reparse old posts without manually editing them you'll have to use the CLI reparser. I think the correct invocation is this:

bin/phpbbcli.php reparser:reparse post_text
Last edited by JoshyPHP on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
Electrix

Post by Electrix »

Thank you very much JoshyPHP, your BBCode templates worked great. I only had a minor troubles with reparser - it got stuck on first run (at about 23k/1.2M), but restarting php service and resuming reparsing process solved it (via --resume option).

I also used following command to reparse user signatures with tables:

bin/phpbbcli.php reparser:reparse user_signature
For future visitors: examples can be found here.

Right now, everything seems to work fine. Thanks again! :)
„Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.“[A. Einstein]
rht

Post by rht »

Have been hunting for a fix for broken custom table BBCodes for a while and stumbled on this. Very helpful, thank you. I have changed my BBCodes to use optional attributes and now have a single BBCode entry for each element - and tables are working again! :mrgreen:

Many Thanks R.
CentOS 7.2 / PHP 5.4 / MariaDB 5.5

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”