Cron Executions.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Helios7

Cron Executions.

Post by Helios7 »

Hi All,

My hosting company keeps telling me that the forum keeps exceeding the allowed resource, so i checked and got the following top 5 executed scripts and wanted to know about the Cron execution in particular as im unable to understand the exact usefulness of the same that it tops the chart.

---
cron.png
---

Please note: The folder alone is named as "phpBB_3.1" but the "current board version is 3.2.0". & the "Database server: MySQL 5.6.36-82.1-log"

Is it normal for Cron to be the top script to perform executions?

Also i have set the "Email package size: 20", and wondering if this could be the reason behind Cron executions.

Thanks.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Cron Executions.

Post by canonknipser »

the cron.php is called on every page view and handles different background tasks (like sending email, prune forums, clear caches ...)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

canonknipser wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm
the cron.php is called on every page view and handles different background tasks (like sending email, prune forums, clear caches ...)
Thanks so much for your reply.

Do we have an option to optimise cron or the forum in particular to reduce the number of total executions so the excess resource usage is not reported atleast for a while?

And from the given image do you think its a normal forum performance?

We are currently using the highest plan "GoGeek" in the "Site Ground" Hosting so wish to know what we should do in the future to handle these many executions? Like getting a separate plan for database etc so executions dont overwhelm the plan?

Thanks.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

I don't know your hosting plans - but i wonder if you are limited in the number of script calls? It sounds a bit like back in the 1980th ... :roll:
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Helios7 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 pm
exceeding the allowed resource
What resource? The cron is supposed to be triggered at most once per minute.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
Helios7

Post by Helios7 »

Hi, thanks for all your replies.

So can i assume from your replies that Cron being the top visited URL (as shown on the above image) close to double than the "viewtopic.php" is perfectly normal and not abnormal to be worried about?

And i have set the "Email package size: 20", and wondering if this is ok or should we change this?

Thanks.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”