possibly switching to a new host, need feedback

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jason Fowler

possibly switching to a new host, need feedback

Post by Jason Fowler »

I'm pretty sure i'm posting in the right place, I read the rules but I'n new so forgive me if this is not an appropriate question.... **deleted** claims to have a speciality team for working with phpbb. I'm having so much trouble getting help with **deleted** I'm thinking of switching. But when I search these forums for **deleted** , the last info is from 2010! Can anyone tell me anything about this host and the "phpbb pros"?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Un Needed Host names deleted
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: possibly switching to a new host, need feedback

Post by Elias »

We cannot really recommend a host but we do recommend you visit WebhostingTalk.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

Elias wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 pm We cannot really recommend a host but we do recommend you visit WebhostingTalk.

Thanks
even sharing host experience is not allow? i've so much trouble with my curent host with phpbb too, finding the right host is not some easy task, i really hope that if we share our hosting experience with eachother among us will help alot.
Elias

Post by Elias »

What problems are you having with your host and phpBB?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

Elias wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:12 pm What problems are you having with your host and phpBB?
since i moved to my curent host, my board stop showing guests as a user, it always shows as 0 guests at Who is online? , but if i go here https://storyfb.com/viewonline.php?sg=1 ... =d&start=0 i can see alot of guest are online.. I talk to them so many times, they cant fix this
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

being completely inexperienced for managing a board like phpbb, I tried making backup copies to my pc from myphpadmin (sql server). It did not seem to be working, what I was actually doing was copying file to my file manager! Now my file manager is a complete mess and I have several public_html folders... I have no idea which are the folders actually running my forum are located, and some file have things in them that don't belong there at all..... And customer service refuses to help. They keep telling me to hire a developer, but this is just a forum from my regular websight on a different host, and I don't think I can justify the price of a developer just to clean up my file manager. I'd have them delete the whole mess and start over, but I already have a team of helpers registered on my forum and don't want them to have to go through that process again.
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

ngaia, due to the sensitive nature of my forum content (addiction and chronic pain solutions) I do not allow guests.
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

By the way, as I have no programming experience, I can't go into my sql and identify the files from file manager. They are all named differently and I've tried every tool I can find to decipher and make sense of the batabase my phpbb forum is located. No luck, only wild guesses. In ADDITION to that, the told me to get a free Wordpress account to get a free SSL certificate so my forum is secure with https://. Have you even heard of such a mess? I have some phpbb folders in my WP folders as well. Good Lord.
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

Sorry to bow everyone's mind, but I cater to opiate addicts and chronic pain patients caught up in the current epidemic and CDC crisis... It is very important that I get this site manageable and in a proper home quickly, as my business page with a link to my phpbb forum is already live.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

We cannot recommend hosts, but I doubt your issue is host related.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

Ok, you are probably right, Bluehost seems to be fine BUT they will not help me clean up the disaster I made in my file manager, and so I can do NOTHING with my sight, as I do not have any idea which files are actually in use and which are useless... I wish I could show you all and expanded view of all my files, you would not belive the mess one man can make. In fact, if a long time expert here would like to have a look, I'd be glad to give you access... It's brand new and I have little to lose.
In fact, stevemaury , you would be one I'd trust to do so, as I look at you recommended host.
Last edited by Jason Fowler on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Where in your directory is your forum installed?

Www.sitename.com/forum?
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

I wish I could give you a more intelligent answer, bit my domain i https://www.addictionandpainhelp.com and my home directory is /home2/hopebota. That is where all file of every type are stored im my file manager, and I have no idea which phpbb or forum folder actually contains my active forum, as there are many.
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

Here, this is a link to my file manager. Any site admin or moderator or support team member my have a look, if only for a good laugh. I will give you my login if you wish... as I said, I have little to lose...
https://cpanel-box5159.bluehost.com/cps ... index.html
expand the files and you will see what a disaster I have.
Jason Fowler

Post by Jason Fowler »

@stevemaury. I tried sending you a PM and it's still sitting in my outbox unsent... I am have no luck today. What the hell am I doing wrong now?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”