Upgrading from 3.0.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Dev222

Upgrading from 3.0.8

Post by Dev222 »

Hello,

A forum I own still runs on 3.0.8 on a server with php4. I am planning to move to a new server with either php 5.6 or php 7.1 and I need to upgrade phpbb to support those php versions.

What is the oldest version of phpbb that supports php 5.6? How about 7.1?

My forum has several mods, including custom ones, and I want a way to upgrade in a way that is as quick and painless as possible. I don't need any new features, since I am happy with the functionality as it is. Should I move to the latest phpbb version, or an earlier version will be a lot easier to upgrade to and still provide at least php 5.6 support? (if the second, can you suggest a version?)

I downloaded the phpbb 3.2 Change Files, but it only goes back to 3.0.14 -> 3.2.1. Where can I find the 3.0.8 -> 3.2.1 changes, or at least 3.0.8 -> 3.0.14.

Thanks!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Upgrading from 3.0.8

Post by stevemaury »

Mods and styles from 3.0.8 will not work with 3.2.x. Minimum version of php for 3.2.x is 5.4. For upgrade instructions, see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Dev222

Post by Dev222 »

Thanks. What is the minimum version of phpbb that supports php 5.6?

My 3.0.8 gives me some errors when I did a test upgrade on the local server.
david63

Post by david63 »

Bear in mind that whilst some hosts still support the PHP5 line eventually they will all be dropping it for PHP7 therefore you will have to upgrade to at least phpBB 3.2 as none of the previous versions will work (without major modification) with PHP7 - so may as well "bite the bullet" and upgrade to 3.2 now.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

What errors? Did you follow the instructions I linked? Remove all MOD database changes, etc.?

The minimum phpBB version that works with php 5.6 is 3.0.0.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Dev222

Post by Dev222 »

stevemaury, I didn't follow your instructions because what I understood is that all my mods and design will be gone if I upgrade to 3.2 and I will just get the default phpbb design and features. Or did I not understand correctly?

The errors I am getting is when running 3.0.8 with php 5.6. I get some "Strict Standards" errors.

david63, I emailed my host to ask them for how long they are planning to support php 5.6
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You will lose whatever custom work or mods you have with 3.0 whichever upgrade path you take, 3.1 or 3.2, has always been thus. I can’t imagine many hosts hanging on to PHP5 for very much longer, it doesn’t make much sense to.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”